giant African shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thank you! I spend a lot of time watching them :)

53 gallon elephant nose tank
16 gallon Giant African shrimp tank

So are those shrimp predators? Will they eat all the fish in my tank? I always wondered about the "lobsters" one sees in stores also ......

So are those shrimp predators? Will they eat all the fish in my tank? I always wondered about the "lobsters" one sees in stores also ......

No they're very peaceful just make sure the fish don't harass them or you'll not see them.

I did not see they were commonly called "vampire shrimp" so despite their name they are completely harmless and their smaller cousins are "fan shrimp or bamboo shrimp"
They are so cute !!!! They spread out those fans to catch food
My tank is too clean for them LOL o_O

Common Name: African Giant Filter Shrimp, Vampire Shrimp, African Fan Shrimp Scientific Name: Atya gabonensis Size: over 15cm Temperature: tropical species, best kept at 75°F-84°F Water Parameters: wide range, not important Food: Filters floating food items from the water, so should be provided with a current in the aquarium. Can pick up food from the ground if there is nothing to filter, although that situation should be avoided. Origin: West Africa and eastern tropical South America Larval Development Type: Normal: larvae go through several planktonic stages before metamorphosing into post-larvae (miniature shrimp) and assuming a benthic lifestyle. For this process they need brackish water to full strength saltwater. The African Filter Shrimp used to be very rare in the hobby, and still is to a certain degree. One still does not encounter these magnificient shrimp in local pet stores all too often.. Just like their asian cousins, they filter tiny food particles out of the water as their main food. As with all filter feeding shrimp, these shrimp are also entirely wild-caught. This will deplete their numbers in the long run, especially if this shrimp becomes more popular in the future. My exeperience with these animals is that they tend to be extremely shy for the most part. They seek out a hiding spot that is located in a water current and sit there day and night filtering water for food particles. This shrimp should be kept in community tanks with small, peaceful fish and/or shrimp and sufficient current. This is preferable to a species tank as its tank mates produce the detritus necessary for the microorganisms in the filter to thrive and reproduce. The microorganisms, in turn, are carried by the current to the filter shrimp and filtered out of the water as food. This way, the filter shrimp does not need to be specifically fed. Targeted feeding might actually deteriorate water parameters and harm the tank inhabitants, as it's very hard to gauge how much this shrimp actually needs to be fed. These shrimp should never be housed with fish that could hurt it, such as most cichlids, even if the fish is smaller than the shrimp or the same size. The African Filter Shrimp itself is totally harmless and is not even capable of hurting the smallest fry or other, smaller shrimp. Thus, it can be housed with all dwarf shrimp, regardless of size. Copyright © Petshrimp.com

I did not see they were commonly called "vampire shrimp" so despite their name they are completely harmless and their smaller cousins are "fan shrimp or bamboo shrimp"
They are so cute !!!! They spread out those fans to catch food
My tank is too clean for them LOL o_O

Common Name: African Giant Filter Shrimp, Vampire Shrimp, African Fan Shrimp Scientific Name: Atya gabonensis Size: over 15cm Temperature: tropical species, best kept at 75°F-84°F Water Parameters: wide range, not important Food: Filters floating food items from the water, so should be provided with a current in the aquarium. Can pick up food from the ground if there is nothing to filter, although that situation should be avoided. Origin: West Africa and eastern tropical South America Larval Development Type: Normal: larvae go through several planktonic stages before metamorphosing into post-larvae (miniature shrimp) and assuming a benthic lifestyle. For this process they need brackish water to full strength saltwater. The African Filter Shrimp used to be very rare in the hobby, and still is to a certain degree. One still does not encounter these magnificient shrimp in local pet stores all too often.. Just like their asian cousins, they filter tiny food particles out of the water as their main food. As with all filter feeding shrimp, these shrimp are also entirely wild-caught. This will deplete their numbers in the long run, especially if this shrimp becomes more popular in the future. My exeperience with these animals is that they tend to be extremely shy for the most part. They seek out a hiding spot that is located in a water current and sit there day and night filtering water for food particles. This shrimp should be kept in community tanks with small, peaceful fish and/or shrimp and sufficient current. This is preferable to a species tank as its tank mates produce the detritus necessary for the microorganisms in the filter to thrive and reproduce. The microorganisms, in turn, are carried by the current to the filter shrimp and filtered out of the water as food. This way, the filter shrimp does not need to be specifically fed. Targeted feeding might actually deteriorate water parameters and harm the tank inhabitants, as it's very hard to gauge how much this shrimp actually needs to be fed. These shrimp should never be housed with fish that could hurt it, such as most cichlids, even if the fish is smaller than the shrimp or the same size. The African Filter Shrimp itself is totally harmless and is not even capable of hurting the smallest fry or other, smaller shrimp. Thus, it can be housed with all dwarf shrimp, regardless of size. Copyright © Petshrimp.com

That's good info! Since i gave mine their own tank they're out and about constantly, i target feed mine every two days and do 50 % clean every 5 days just to keep my parameters safe, my nitrates never go above 5. They even enjoy cucumber and spinach and they constantly poo Lol

How much where the rabbit snails and shrimp, and how big do the snails get?

The snail's are around £3, and the shrimp cost me £10 each. The sizes all range my yellow rabbit is about 3 inches but my tiger rabbit was just over 3.

Wow, that's pretty expensive!

Yeah they are expensive but entertaining Lol at least with them in their own tank they'll not get harassed or eaten, they sometimes squabble between themselves cool to own.

I think I'm getting a 5 gallon tank for a betta, think a couple of rabbit snails and one vampire shrimp would be ok?

Hi,
I guess I missed this thread, I can't believe it, lol!!!

I LOVE the African filter feeder shrimp. I had one for a very short time, it passed when I had a malfunction on the tank, it was so marvelous!!! Of course I pretty much love all the shrimp and almost all the snails. I liked the pics of your Tylos. And I saw your banded Kuhlis :cool:.

Great tank with some amazing creatures, I love it!!!

Naughty Gonzo! :lol:

Merry Christmas!

I think I'm getting a 5 gallon tank for a betta, think a couple of rabbit snails and one vampire shrimp would be ok?

The snail's should be ok, but the shrimp can get to 4-6 inches so the 5 gallon would be too small. One of mine is already over 3 inches.

Hi,
I guess I missed this thread, I can't believe it, lol!!!

I LOVE the African filter feeder shrimp. I had one for a very short time, it passed when I had a malfunction on the tank, it was so marvelous!!! Of course I pretty much love all the shrimp and almost all the snails. I liked the pics of your Tylos. And I saw your banded Kuhlis :cool:.

Great tank with some amazing creatures, I love it!!!

Naughty Gonzo! :lol:

Merry Christmas!

Hi, thank you! I'm really enjoying this tank my son love's the shrimp :D
Yep that's when I had my kuhlis miss those guy's. Can't believe how my tank's have changed! I was thinking of adding some rcs but I'm liking it the way it is :)
Well Gonzo hasn't got an anybody left to be naughty with! He seems to leave the amanos alone (at the moment)
You have a Merry Christmas too.

Back
Top Bottom