Giant danios 20 gallon tall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Batumbrellanogo

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone I'm just getting back into having a few aquariums. I had a fishless cycle going by adding seed and putting a few fish flakes in the water daily, but my lfs suggested adding a few fish to get started. I had told them I planned on adding 2 blue rams 6 harlequin rasboras and 4 corys. My lfs is fairly knowledgeable and breed their own fish and has a fish vet on staff, so I assumed when they suggested adding 3 giant danios thar they knew what they were talking about. Now I'm not so sure after having added them to the tank and researching them. Lfs said they would go along well with my stocking choice. What should i do? I've had them for about 2 weeks now, so no returns.

Well, first question I'd ask is how big is your tank and what kind of filtration do you have on it?

Tank is 24x16x12, with 30g rated filter. I've grown to really liking these fish, but my stocking was also pretty well planned. Getting another aquarium is really out of my budget.

Giant danios in theory would work with your stock, but really need a bigger tank at least 48" long. They get to about 4" long and are extremely active, and should be kept in larger schools of at least 6-8. In small schools they can get very nippy.

If upgrading a tank is not an option, I'd suggest returning them. I'd bag them go back to store with the receipt. Then explain that you bought these to cycle your tank, but they are not going to work in your tank. Either trade them for the other fish, or get a refund. If they won't do it, talk to the manager and say it was the employee who suggested them, but unfortunately they won't work. If that doesn't work, take your business elsewhere!

Tank is 24x16x12, with 30g rated filter. I've grown to really liking these fish, but my stocking was also pretty well planned. Getting another aquarium is really out of my budget.

I've had giant danios years ago (6 of them) in 55g. The got to about 3" although in captivity they can get to 4" and in the wild 6". As with other danios, they are very active on always on the move. In my 55g they did not shoal. They separated and patrolled different areas of the tank. If another member got too close, they were met with a rapid strike. That being said, IMO a 20g (tall or long) is too small for these fish. If possible, I would return them and get smaller danios or tetras.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom