Gill colour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yahooandgoogle

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys please help me. What colour should a Blackmoor gills be underneath?
I only noticed today for the first time they were red.
It gave me a shock. He has no red anywhere else no gasping for air, eating well and swimming fine.

I read it could be ammonia burn?
My tank is cycling at the last stage. I have been doing water changes and monitoring very closely. My ammonia was 0.25 today. I did a water change. I also added some aquarium salt.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Normal gills in any fish should be a healthy pinkish red. They should not look bloody, brown or pale.

What is the reason for the ammonia in your tank?

My tank is cycling it's nearly finished. His gills didn't look pale or brown. Just slightly red.

I will do another change tomorrow.

Having ammonia is not "nearly finished". Ammonia is only the first step of the cycle. Nearly finished would be having zero ammonia and a nitrite spike, but no nitrates yet.

What size tank is it and how long have you been cycling?

So you have ammonia, nitrites, AND nitrates? That's not a normal cycle progression... Usually it goes from ammonia spike with zero nitrites & nitrates to zero ammonia & nitrates with a nitrite spike, to zero ammonia with decreasing nitrites and increasing nitrates, to fully cycled with zero ammonia & nitrites with building nitrates.

How big is the tank? It sounds like your bioload is too high for the filtration to keep up with and the cycle is getting overwhelmed.

Hi thanks for replying.
I have just re tested my tank and it's reads ammonia 0 nitrite is 0.50-1 and just showing up for nitrates at 5 the nitrate was hard to read it wasn't the first yellow on the testing card nearly the second one.
Thanks again. I have water ready for tomorrow for a water change to keep the nitrite down.

Okay, that sounds much better... Yes, you're getting close to the end of your cycle, and that should be a big enough tank that the goldfish's waste won't overwhelm the cycle. I wouldn't try to add any more goldfish though, even once it's cycled.

Hi thanks for your help and Advice.
No not going to add any more just going to have the two of them.

Definitely don't add more fish. 90 liters is only 23 gallons and one goldfish will max it out.

Hello everyone update on my fish.
The ammonia is 0 nitrite is 0.25 and my nitrates are between 5-10. So nearly through the cycling. Both fish are doing well. Thanks for all your advice.

I know now the tank is too small for these two. I was given the wrong advice I wanted the next tank up but they said this one is plenty big enough. I am not getting any more fish but will look into getting a bigger tank for them when I move into my own place.

Thanks again for everything

Back
Top Bottom