Give me the good, bad and ugly of CPR overflows

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfreek

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I am looking for an overflow for my 80 gal tank. The only overflows I can find on the online stores are CPR brand. If anyone has had experience with these overflows please post a response so I can make an educated decision about buying one. I am looking for 1100gph flow at the most and 800gph flow minimum.

Ya the first one you posted is the CPR.

From what I have heard they acutally "require" a PH to keep the syphon going if the pump stops. I know the "U" or "J" tube style overflows will NOT lose the syphon if a power failure occurs.

Personally I think that is a poor design if this is the case with the CPR's.

I'm not familiar with the CPR, but the tidepools do not reqiure a PH to keep the siphon if the main pump quits. It does however use a powerhead to keep air bubbles from accumulating in the tube, and eventually breaking the siphon.

LifeReef

I am looking at this overflow now. I will need the dual unit and I expect I will modify the overflow a littlebit so I can remove the sponge's on the back and maybe add a short lengh of pvc to the down flow ports to cut down on noise.

I use two overflows on my 75. I'm pumping about 600 gph. One won't keep up. You want high flow through your siphons, that's what keeps them from getting airlocked. I use simple U tubes. Cheap and effective. When I clean one, I throttle the pump back and use the other one.

FYI

Mark

Just a thought, but instead of two overflows, couldn't you simply use two U tubes or J tubes in one overflow. I used to do it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom