Given a New 16g With Fish! Need Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shane l

Aquarium Advice FINatic
A family friend just gave me his tank gravel tank lid filter and heater included

He also gave me 2 fish.
A 4 year old gold fish
And a pleco

I'm thinking of adding 2 more Goldie's in due time :) any opinions ?

Um, what kind of goldfish? Typically they require 20 gals for the first fish alone so you're already way overstocked with a pleco in there (assuming it's a fancy goldfish; if it's a Koi or common it belongs in a pond). What kind of pleco? Some can tolerate cooler water but I believe some can't, so they may not be compatible. I've read too that some plecos can suck on the sides of goldfish. Even if it is a cooler water species you'd need a much larger tank to house both.

Yup they definitely need a bigger tank I mean sure they survive but what happens with goldfish in small tanks is that they may appear physically normal but their growth will get stunted they wont physically grow but their organs and the rest of the insides will causing a slow painful death i suggest you give the goldfish to a lfs and also the Pleco
You can buy a heater and look into some proper tropical fish for the tank

Hmm you could start another thread people here know a lot more species then I do
But you could do 1 school of:
Ember tetras
Neon tetras
Cardinal tetras
Lemon tetras
Harlequin rasboras

You could add 5 spotted corys or any dwarf species
You could add a betta depending on their personality
Or 1 dwarf gourami
1 mystery snail
3 ottos
Hopefully other people can chime in and give you a better idea

Great advice given above.

Just because your friend kept the tank filthy and wrongly stocked, doesn't meant that you should carry on that tradition. ;)

I turned my 16 into a RCS tank and I absolutely love it. I have my shrimp, corys, otos and assassin snails. It's one of my favorite tanks to watch because there are always new babies around. (y)

Fishandmusic81 said:
Hmm you could start another thread people here know a lot more species then I do
But you could do 1 school of:
Ember tetras
Neon tetras
Cardinal tetras
Lemon tetras
Harlequin rasboras

You could add 5 spotted corys or any dwarf species
You could add a betta depending on their personality
Or 1 dwarf gourami
1 mystery snail
3 ottos
Hopefully other people can chime in and give you a better idea

The only fish my lfs stock on that list is cardinals and neons and I have them

Then start googling and do more research on other species. Or, take a pad and pencil to the lfs and look through all the tanks. Write down the names of the fish that interest you and research them.

Back
Top Bottom