glass catfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paulcm10

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I recently went to petco and saw a fish called glass catfish. i don't know much about these guys so i have a few questions.
1. will they eat my Red Cherry Shrimps?
2. im assuming they school but how many should i get?
3. do they have a big bioload?

they won't touch even the baby shrimps?
and can you tell me if this is too much bioload for my 20g tank
4-5 glass catfish, 1 otto cat, 6-8 CPDs, RCS shrimps and MTS?

Paulcm10 said:
they won't touch even the baby shrimps?
and can you tell me if this is too much bioload for my 20g tank
4-5 glass catfish, 1 otto cat, 6-8 CPDs, RCS shrimps and MTS?

You'll be ok, but I would add a soul after that. I never really considered MTS and shrimp to contribute to my Bio-load personally, however, some may disagree...

oh okay.. and sorry I'm fairly new at this but what do you mean a soul? =o

Paulcm10 said:
oh okay.. and sorry I'm fairly new at this but what do you mean a soul? =o

That just means don't add any other living thing, aside from live plants, if you go with your proposed stock list. You don't want to overstock the tank and have any problems.

I used to keep glass cats and they are shy fish. They like to hang closer to the bottom of the tank at the edge of plant groups. If you don't have any live plants just adding a water spite or wisteria will go along way in helping them feel secure. They also like dark substrates and dimmer lighting just as tetras do.

IME the glass cats I've gotten have been pretty sensitive and take a long time to get used to the tank. They are all wild caught. They are very peaceful and shy and appreciate live plants and surface cover.
I've bought a couple that never ended up eating and died. I'd do a school of 5 minimum.

Back
Top Bottom