Glass Cover on Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hazarrd

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm hoping to hear from people who have technical knowledge regarding the negative effects of using an almost-sealed glass cover on top of a freshwater aquarium. I have heard things such as increased water temperatures and gasses being trapped, but I would like to hear about these issues in more detail.

Greatly appreciate your comments.

I'm hoping to hear from people who have technical knowledge regarding the negative effects of using an almost-sealed glass cover on top of a freshwater aquarium. I have heard things such as increased water temperatures and gasses being trapped, but I would like to hear about these issues in more detail.

Greatly appreciate your comments.

Well, in my own experience I use a glass lid on my tank.

Temperature is usually the same as room temperature, maybe 1 or 2 degrees F higher (so 70-72F on average). I do not use a heater, since the species I keep do not require one, if that matters. I use LED lights, they generate little heat.

Not sure about gases being trapped, what kind of gasses? I keep african clawed frogs in my glass lid aquarium and they breathe oxygen and I've had no issues with that. I do open the lid once a day for feeding so I don't know if that helps. I did cut the plastic to allow me run to place the intake and spray bar, I've cut it very tightly to not allow much of a gap to allow escapes (my frogs are sadly, awesome at escaping).

The tank also has a small population of ghost shrimp, whom I believe are very oxygen sensitive? Besides the shrimp my clawed frogs eat, I've never seen one die from issues with the water chemistry due to a lack of oxygen. My tank is planted, though so that may help with oxygen.

I do think that glass lids do keep water from evaporating, so that's good. It does appear to trap humidity in, if you have plants that grow out of the water such as I do again another positive.

Also keeps your fish from jumping out (or in my case, frogs), so again a positive.

A sealed glass lid can cut down on the amount of oxygen in the water. However, most people with glass lids don't truly have a sealed lid, cutouts for cords and filters prevent them from being truly airtight. Even a nonsealed one however can cut down on gas exchange, which can become an issue in an overstocked tank, but should never be an issue in a normal or low stocked tank. Glass lids can trap heat, especially a problem with saltwater tanks using compact flourescent lights. And glass lids accumulate chemicals from water evaporation and become opac over time, cutting down on light penetration. However, if you have fish or other organisms that are known to try and escape the tank then a lid of some sort is required.

I keep glass tops on mine with a gap at the back for hob's. I also have the glass resting on paint stir sticks "wooden slabs" to help with gas exchange.

Back
Top Bottom