Glass-hole.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Terrance

Aquarium Advice Addict
I got the 1500 overflow kit with a 3/4 return kit. I can't seem to get myself to drill my beautiful expensive tank. I've been watching the videos on the website.

Can some of you give me some of your personal experience on how you did it safely? I feel like I might mess up, so I been delaying the drilling for the past few weeks.

Terrance said:
I got the 1500 overflow kit with a 3/4 return kit. I can't seem to get myself to drill my beautiful expensive tank. I've been watching the videos on the website.

Can some of you give me some of your personal experience on how you did it safely? I feel like I might mess up, so I been delaying the drilling for the past few weeks.

If you are this nervous get on Craigslist and buy a.couple 10s and drill the *@?! Out of em lol

While i have no experience with drilling tanks, I am a ceramic tile setter and have often used the diamond hole saws. 1 thing that I have found to work really well is to take a piece of tile and cut a hole in it using the hole saw, then tape it to the piece you want to cut and it acts like a guide. It can be difficult to keep the hole saw from skipping or moving around this will help alot. Another thing that helps is water. What I do is have a small squirt bottle full of water and every few seconds squirt a bit on there to keep the material/saw cool. Some tile setters use plumbers putty and make a pool of water.

Honestly id bet you probably know most of the tips and tricks from researching now you just have first timers nerves lol which is totally normal so do it on a scrap tank ;)

also don't force it let the drill do the work. I also saw that video with the plumbers putty but the template is a good idea

I was nervous about drilling my 40b that cost me $40... so I can totally understand. It's really not that bad actually. Just be sure where you want it, because it's hard to move the hole once it's drilled. I drilled mine slightly lower than I should have, which has annoyed me ever since. Make sure you account for the flow. If you're going to have quite a bit less than the max flow, move it slightly higher than you would if you are going to run it closer to max flow. Mine is 700gph. At about 550-600gph, It ran about half way up the teeth. Now that I'm closer to 400gph, it barely raises above the bottom of the teeth, making my water line slightly below the trim (annoying!). I used the plywood guide that came with it as a drilling template. I set my drill on the lowest clutch setting and had my wife eyeball it for level both directions. I just pulled the trigger (pun intended) and kept at it applying no pressure. About halfway through I added a bit more water and kept drilling. Just make sure, as the instructions say, to have a blanket or something under it to catch the glass chunk.

i was the same way and still am, I went to my LFS and they knew of someone that did it. I paid them came back my tank was done

Thanks guys. I drilled my tank today. Got 3 holes total :) I calmed down after easily drilling the 1st hole. I just took down my stand and took it apart so that I can fit a 40g breeder tank for a sump.

I'm super happy right now.

Nice! congrats on your first successful drilling.

The glass was pretty thick. Scary drilling through these thick sheets of glass.
sdc13096s.jpg

Back
Top Bottom