Glo Fish eating one another

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ShockerFX

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello forum I have just joined the forum and I am fairly new to aquariums I purchased for glo fish initially and three passed in the days all at once I had my water tested and it came back high for ammonia so I adjusted with some chemical and waited in several days I had the water tested again and it came back clean and clear so I purchased two more glo fish to keep the surviving one company the next day the surviving fish passed I did some research and found that my water temperature was to high and that oxygenation was only happening at the top of tank and that explained the fishes behavior of hovering near the surface and why one of the new ones was doing the same I immediately adjusted but not too fast as to shock the remaining two and waited a week or so in said time the larger glo fish bullied the smaller one nipping at fins and such so after the week I had the water tested again all clear once more and added four more glo fish to try and calm the aggressive fish picking on the smaller one it seemed to work for a couple days until today I got home and the entire tail of the injured fish was gone how do I help him and how do I stop this please help

A few years ago I had guppies that did this, and they all died from getting tails eaten by the big one. I didn't know what to do when my guppies did this, but I would say to put the injured fish into a separate tank/bowl for him to heal. I can't help you with the other fish's aggressive behavior, but i would say definitely let the injured one heal so that he will be less likely to get picked on when he goes back to the big tank. The weaker he gets, the more he will be attacked most likely.

I don't have another tank to put the injured fish in will it live in a bowl of aquarium water for a while or can I separate it some how inside the tank

They sell tank dividers at pet stores which you could use, as well as small fish bowls for temporary stuff. You can also make your own dividers with mesh. You can keep him in a bowl if the bowl has a shape that allows the fish to swim around. If you do put him in a bowl, remember that it doesn't have a heater or filter, so it has to be cleaned and kept somewhere warm.

Do you think that the fish's odds are better in the tank or a bowl I cannot get to a store to get a divider

If he is being bullied like you said, put him in the bowl. It may be a good idea for you to use some of the water already in the main tank since he is used to it. since it is winter (unless you live in australia) keep him in a warm place and check the water temperature and how he is doing. he should be fine if he is away from other fish.

Ok thank you I will give it a shot and hope that he can pull through, he lost his tail this afternoon in a matter of three hours and I have witnessed him being bullied by one fish in particular

hopefully his tail will grow back at least partially, most fish can grow back fins and tails in the right situations. If enough of the tail was lost it may not grow back all the way but keeping him away from other fish should at least help some of it. good luck.

Thanks again just pulled him from the tank I hope he can make it

I'm currently making a capsule out of Tupperware that can be submerged in the tank but keep him seperated from the other fish

good idea but make sure he doesn't get stressed looking at the other fish when he can't reach them and make tiny holes in the container for water flow and oxygen. he'll probably be better in an environment he's used to than in a bowl

Right I had the same thought I drilled a bunch of homes in it to help with water flow and placed it by an air stone in the tank to help move water and oxygen through it

No he didn't make it but at least I tried he had been picked on previous to getting the other fish so hopefully it just happened because he was weak and it doesn't happen to the rest of them

so sorry about that. My dwarf gourami died last night too. Hopefully your fish won't bully the others again.

Just got home everyone is intact still sorry that you also lost a fish it's super depressing when that happens

Back
Top Bottom