Glofish: anyone know much about them?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
A while back, I noticed some really cool looking fish, only to learn about the horrible way they came about. Luckily I didnt buy any painted glass fish, until research was done, and I still didnt buy them. So, now I see these Glofish, and I wonder how they came about. They are really pretty fish, but I will not support someone who is harming fish for their own financial gain, but will support someone who is offering safe and healthy fish. Thank you in advance,

Bear

Fluorescent Glofish that you see in the lfs were not harmed at all. No dying, no injections. They are genetically engineered zebra danios. Scientists inserted a piece of DNA containing a jellyfish fluorescent protein gene into a fertilized fish egg. Then, they mated the fluorescent fish to produce a purebred strain. The DNA and the fluorescent protein that it encodes are harmless to the fish.

Interestingly, they originally bred these fish to study and detect freshwater pollutants. In addition to the fluorescent protein gene, they also inserted various DNA regulatory elements (enhancers) that are sensitive to pollutants like heavy metals. When the fish were exposed to water containing tiny amounts of pollutants, the flourescent gene would be turned on and the fish would glow under UV light.

At my aquarium club aution, somebody was selling some longfinned glofish. So, apparently some clever hobbyist out there has bred glofish with longfinned danios and managed to get a fertile hybrid.

As QTOFFER said, they're genetically modified. So essentially they're just zebra danios with an extra gene. That's why they'll breed. (Not really hybrids...) Like any danios, they're better with a group since then their chasing stays in the school. They will school with "regular" danios. (Longfins are the same species too).

Aren't these illegal in the US? I remember reading that somewhere. I REALLY want some :)

I always thought they were dyed fish, thats pretty cool that they inject DNA now to get that cool effect.....I might consider getting some for my tank now :)

They're illegal in California. As the genes do not give it any advantage in the wild, California was going to make an exception, but the paperwork cost too much money for the company that raises these.

I'm not a fan of the marketing to consumers (and all of my undergraduate research was developing transgenic plants for agriculture). Although it's entirely unreasonable, it strikes a nerve for me.

But they certainly aren't harmed in the way that dyed fish are. It may be a bit of a frivolous use, but when you see betas sold in tiny bowls and arrowanas sold to newbies...GMO fish that are pretty under black lights really can't compare.

Back
Top Bottom