"GLOFISH" are coming!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bernie

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought you'd all appreciate some of the latest info on this
subject..... for the pro's and the con's:

I will have some in my store as of tomorrow to actually see
what this is!! I'm in a neutral position on the subject myself;
but as a retailer, I felt it was necessary to get a "first-hand"
look at this!!

I will post some pix here later once they are in!!

glofish.jpg

See ya all later!!

Bernie

Heh, saw and commented on your post over at fishgeeks. While I still have reservations about these guys, I'll be interested to see how they do.

**And keep in mind folks, Bernie owns his own lfs; before flaming him for carrying them remember he has to REMAIN in biz. If this is what folks want, this is what they're going to get. If you have a prob with the genetically modified fish, the best thing you can do is educate others; especially folks who don't have the info we do.

Thanks, for the help, there... Ally!!!

Yes, as in the past with "painted stuff" which I refuse to carry!!! These "seem"
different and so I felt the obligation to check it out first-hand!!

As I said, I'm neutral on this at present!! My main concern right-off will be
just "how the fish will look under average tank conditions" or will there need
to be special equipment to actually "see" any diff, in order to warrant the
price. Which is looking to be about $ 5.99 retail here. Probably higher elsewhere.

I'll keep all posted.

Bernie

The ones I saw last night just looked "salmon" colored where the zebras are normally dark bluish. They were under normal lighting, and didn't look spectacular. Would definitely be curious to see them under UV or black light however.

The fluorescent fish, however, are even less tolerant of cold water than natural zebra fish and are unlikely to survive if they escape, the Fish and Game Department said in recommending an exemption. Independent researchers also found that no harm would come from eating the fish.

Yummy! Would you sell the Coctail sauce right next to the Glofish?

This is the same debate as painted glass fish. Is it probably a little cruel for our entertainment...yes...but get over it people, there are more important debates in life (ie: Bears and Packers this Sunday).

I love this qoute from the CNN article:

"Yorktown Technologies President Alan Blake has given assurances that GloFish are safe even if flushed down the toilet, dumped into the local swimming hole or eaten by a house cat or a 2-year-old."

Who the heck volunteered their 2 year old to test that? :p

I don't really have a problem with them. I would prefer that the same energy went into finding cures for cancer, AIDS, etc., but if people want to spend money developing a "better" aquarium fish, so be it. I don't object to it the way I do to the painted fish, which have to have invasive procedures performed on them. These zebras reproduce naturally and live lives similar to the other fish we keep, so it does not bother me too much, other than that I don't think the hobby needs any new and improved fish. :wink:

I'm Glad to see that science has taken this hobby so far. As for painted fish I think everone dislikes them. I can't remember how many Non-fish hobbiest's faces dropped when I told them how they get that color. Anyway I'm usually the type of person who likes things natural. But as others earlier said in this post it's not the same as painted fish. It's more like a step in the right direction I think. I want my fish to be happy. If this type of genetic engineering can lead to colorful fish, then im sure it can lead to hardy ones that live happier as well. I'm also very Conservative with politics I.E Taxes, Abortion, IRAQ!. So This type of science isnt usually on my Positive side. THink of it this way. This is where We humans take the Next step in SCience. Paving the way for disease cures and most inportant. A safer , Easier and Nicer looking marine habitat. THanks for the article first time i have heard of the issue.

Dela

Here's some more perspective on the issue for those who are truly concerned:

Excerpt from PET PRODUCT NEWS Sept 2003 issue:

TransgenicInfo.jpg

Bernie

Don't worry. Next we'll give them zebrafish stripes. Then they can be in on the fun too!

I saw some tonight at a lfs, and they look kinda weird. They had them opposite the regular dano's (comparing 5.99 to .99) and they just look odd. Some are brightly colored, some are not so colored. Call me crazy, but I dont think it's worth it. :|

Well folks.... they're in!!!

Like the initial reports and my "gut" feeling on the deal;

it's got a long way to go...to get my dollar in the future!!

I'll get pix up in the morning, and give them half a fighting chance
to "color up".

Personally, the neon tetras, blue rams and male bettas that I got in
this evening all "blow these glofish away!!!" Not even close!!

Spend .99 on a neon with twice the color or $5.99 for a zebra danio
with little more than a "partial" glow over their brothers (reg zebras)
which I sell 3 for .99!!

These distributors best move quickly and get their money now before
word gets out!!

Either that or they need to go back to the "gene pool" and step it up
drastically to earn the kind of money they are asking now!!

Maybe I should stop and post more in the morning after they've had
some time to do something!!??????

So much for this evening's early bird report.

Bernie

Well....Looked at them again this morning!!

Not much improvement.

Yes we tried the actinic blue (which was suggested by 5D... the licensed distributor, I use); also black light; also regular aquarium light.

Dino....its precisely or less than what we thought (even though I had hoped for a little excitement over this (just to "spice" things up a bit); .... oh well!!
We both have seen many "hypes" in this biz..... I'm afraid this is another!!

I'm leaving the regular light on the display for two reasons:
1- there was neglible difference
2- that's the way most of MY customers will be seeing them if they buy them. I've set my price at $5.99
and will put up all the "promo literature they come with" AND let customers make their own decisions!

I've been selling fish for many years now and I've seen many "gimmicks" come in and out.
Although this "glofish" may truly be a "genetic" break-through...... that's its major claim to fame.
As a "hobbyist fish advancement".... its got a long way to go, before even comparing to many
of the fish we already have "naturally" and for 1/4 the PRICE!!

As soon as I finish my posting work and other errands, I will post up the pix from these fish
here, as I promised; ...... but don't expect any great revelations!!! You'll be disappointed!!

Again,"my neons and blue rams blow these GLOFISH away!!!"

Bernie

OK, here's a quick pix; if I think I can get any better ones later I'll
post it too, but don't think so!

Glofish1.jpg

Personally, folks.... I'm ready to move on to other subjects!

I got some great Festivums in, along with some neat "spotted" Headstanders, real nice Celebes Rainbows, etc!!

See ya all!!

Bernie

That goes along with my feeling that there are so many beautiful fish already out there that there is no need to "create" a new and more colorful fish. The Jan 2004 issue of TFH has them on the cover and they certainly look vibrant and lovely in that picture, and in the article they claim to actually glow in the dark. I personally don't need my fish to do that!

I went to a lfs last night, and they had the "glow-fish" in the same tank with the regular dano's. They were labeled at $.99. I would have bought some, just to see, but all of their tanks had a bad outbreak of ich, so I passed.

Bernie, I saw headstanders the other day and I thought they were cool. Is there anything you can tell me about them? Are they good community fish or too aggressive? thanks!

freshwatergal....

The spotted species is one of the more smaller and milder of the headstander
(anostomus) group..... They have always seemed to have a "better" slanted
or headstanding habit than the others...especially when kept with tall, stalky
type plants! They are not schoolers but will tolerate others. Eats most frozen
or freeze-dried foods.

Bernie

Back
Top Bottom