Glofish Fry - 10 days old

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shigshwa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Everyone said that these guys are super sensitive to things like ammonia... I had the level at 0.05 ppm for 2 days (unintentionally) and they were still fine... Otherwise, I seem to be quite lucky, as this is my first time breeding them.

dsc00179i.jpg

YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW. Lol jk jk. Just don't sell them just a heads up. Who knows what corporate pigs are watching. Apparently the GM company that makes these fish say the genome of their fish is their intellectual property so no breeding/resale is allowed. Although I doubt the consequences will be as bad if you stole music and they found out...

YOU'RE BREAKING THE LAW. Lol jk jk. Just don't sell them just a heads up. Who knows what corporate pigs are watching. Apparently the GM company that makes these fish say the genome of their fish is their intellectual property so no breeding/resale is allowed. Although I doubt the consequences will be as bad if you stole music and they found out...
Wow, I didn't know that! Interesting.:popcorn:

Last time I read, it was only illegal to sell, and supposedly only permissible to breed for educational purposes.

Looks great! What did you use to breed glolights? (IE tank conditions)

1. Tank size: 2.5 gallons (It was the only one I had left...)
2. Temperature: 78F
3. pH: 6.8, GH: ?
4. Conditioning: Tons of freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried bloodworms (they dont seem to enjoy the frozen foods, might be too big)
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning: Chasing behavior, female actually hiding
6. Selection of spawning site (if any): Not really, just a marble tank with a ghetto rigged sponge filter.
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn: Sudden introduction to clean water? (I hear the rains of the monsoon in their native lands induce spawning)

I mean, the conditions for spawning are so loose that they spawn in my main tank all the time after a good conditioning. As a matter of fact, they just spawned last night!

1. Tank size: 2.5 gallons (It was the only one I had left...)
2. Temperature: 78F
3. pH: 6.8, GH: ?
4. Conditioning: Tons of freeze dried brine shrimp, freeze dried bloodworms (they dont seem to enjoy the frozen foods, might be too big)
5. Fishes activity prior to spawning: Chasing behavior, female actually hiding
6. Selection of spawning site (if any): Not really, just a marble tank with a ghetto rigged sponge filter.
7. Anything you might have done to induce the spawn: Sudden introduction to clean water? (I hear the rains of the monsoon in their native lands induce spawning)

I mean, the conditions for spawning are so loose that they spawn in my main tank all the time after a good conditioning. As a matter of fact, they just spawned last night!
Thats pretty cool. I LOVE baby fish. :D

Funny yet sad story is... See, I originally bred a Red and Green, and at the age of just 2 days old I killed them... How? After a water change, I notice the pH rises to an "alarming" 7.8, and so I throw a spoon of pH Down, and 2 hours later, all dead. After a water change or 2, I give it another go with the Red and Orange (Green died shortly after breeding, I mishandled it by accident...). After assuming that they they were fighting (they appeared much more "aggressive" towards each other), I simply gave up and assumed that no eggs were layed. When I was about to dump the water out, I notice a good 4 tiny fry randomly positioned, and the next day, it bloomed to an astonishing 20! And so far, seems like my death rate is 0%, plus or minus maybe one that slipped away without me knowing.

Throw away the pH down. That pH was perfectly fine. The pH down as with all pH buffers is garbage.

Throw away the pH down. That pH was perfectly fine. The pH down as with all pH buffers is garbage.

I had to sacrifice a tank full of fry to find out... It's HARD to get it all out once you put it in, one time's worth of pH Down buffers for like 10 water changes!

Back
Top Bottom