GLOfish hover at the bottom.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyLC

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone I've had my 10 gallon tank for a month today. The tank is cycled as I get 0 to 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates readings for the most part. I do a 10 - 15% water change every few days and my water is usually crystal clear. My tank is heated to 78 degrees F. I feed them tetra tropical fish flakes 2 - 3 times a day. The filtration system is a tetra whisper pf 10 with 2 fluval bio foam squares as the media and a floss mesh over the intake pipe. As far as decoration I have two silk plants that go as tall as the tank and one coral looking rock in the center. I have a tube aerator along the back of the tank.

Since I can remember they always swam at the bottom and only came to the top to eat. I have 5 of them and 3 Cory cat fish. I really can't figure what I've done that may be stressing them out and it's driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Joe.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hey everyone I've had my 10 gallon tank for a month today. The tank is cycled as I get 0 to 0.25 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 20 nitrates readings for the most part. I do a 10 - 15% water change every few days and my water is usually crystal clear. My tank is heated to 78 degrees F. I feed them tetra tropical fish flakes 2 - 3 times a day. The filtration system is a tetra whisper pf 10 with 2 fluval bio foam squares as the media and a floss mesh over the intake pipe. As far as decoration I have two silk plants that go as tall as the tank and one coral looking rock in the center. I have a tube aerator along the back of the tank.

Since I can remember they always swam at the bottom and only came to the top to eat. I have 5 of them and 3 Cory cat fish. I really can't figure what I've done that may be stressing them out and it's driving me nuts. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Joe.

Cory Cats should be kept in a minimum of 20 gal, and most likely more than that depending on the variety of cory cat. I think you may have a case of overstocking, although you may not think it looks that way. Just my two cents.

Okay. My Corys actually seem okay and playful from what I've seen Just my GLOs are very very lazy.
Well if I overstocked that sucks because I can't do anything about that now :(

Okay. My Corys actually seem okay and playful from what I've seen Just my GLOs are very very lazy.

What are the dimensions of your tank?

Also, exactly what variety of cory cat do you have?

The dimensions I believe is the standard size 10 gallon I would see everywhere. 10 gallon long I guess? And the Corys I don't remember what kind they are dark with darker spots big spots. I would have to attach a photo when I get home.

The dimensions I believe is the standard size 10 gallon I would see everywhere. 10 gallon long I guess? And the Corys I don't remember what kind they are dark with darker spots big spots. I would have to attach a photo when I get home.

I used aqadvisor.com with some general specs you provided. It says your tank is almost full, but again, I don't know the true dimensions or which cory cat you have exactly. I would try aqadvisor for yourself and see what you come up with!

My glos hover at the bottom but only when I put algae wafers in for my snails. They eat what remainders of the wafer are left strewn through the water. Usually, mine are very active at the mid-top level of the tank.
I'd say for you to see their full potential to get a larger tank. They're lovely when they're swimming in a school. I have 8 now ☺️ I had a five gallon and lost four fish to aggression. The corys too are probably a bit cramped. But, it's not my place to tell you what to do. Just saying what my experience has been and relating it to yours :)

•Just keep swimming•

I have also had experiences where if the danio is stressed it'll hover over the bottom and i would find it dead the next day :/
Sorry for the double posting, I accidentally hit reply to fast haha!

•Just keep swimming•

okay here is a quick video of what they do all day long, doesn't matter what time of the day. i think you can see the cory thats in there as well.

video wouldn't attach on that last post.

it won't even let me add photos... ill try again tomorrow i guess. goodnight guys thanks.

I used aqadvisor.com with some general specs you provided. It says your tank is almost full, but again, I don't know the true dimensions or which cory cat you have exactly. I would try aqadvisor for yourself and see what you come up with!

Okay the cat fish i have is a Corydoras Paleatus, the tank size is 20 Inches long by 10Inches wide by 12 inches deep.

I'm over stocked according to aqadvisor 102% :( oh well what can i do hopefully they aren't suffering to much. Im gonna go ahead and say that this is my issue. Maybe they can just get used to it? lol

I'm over stocked according to aqadvisor 102% :( oh well what can i do hopefully they aren't suffering to much. Im gonna go ahead and say that this is my issue. Maybe they can just get used to it? lol

Hey as long as there's no aggression you should be fine for a while. :) If theres nothing you can do don't beat yourself up over it.

•Just keep swimming•

Hey as long as there's no aggression you should be fine for a while. :) If theres nothing you can do don't beat yourself up over it.

•Just keep swimming•

Well there is a bit of that going on. They seem to pick on each other equally though. it does not look like they are singling one out.
Just an FYI my corys are fine they don't seem to be having any problems as they swim all over the place together they even come to the top sometimes and nibble on the silk plants i have. they don't seem stressed.

I might consider taking a few fish out. It will decrease the stress level on the fish you are wanting to keep.

The aggression won't stop, from my experience it'll keep getting worse no matter what the some people at the pet stores tell you. Adding more fish will make it worse and taking some out will just single some fish out to be beaten on more so either way it's not a good scenario. If you do have the zebras taking them out would probably be less beneficial for that species because they're schooling fish. I don't know much about corys so that's not my place to say anything about haha! I mean if you can't get a bigger tank then maybe relocate a few glofish. Other than that there's not much you can do. Or change from glos to something else completely. Good luck though, I hope you don't have as many casualties as I did, if any!

•Just keep swimming•

The aggression won't stop, from my experience it'll keep getting worse no matter what the some people at the pet stores tell you. Adding more fish will make it worse and taking some out will just single some fish out to be beaten on more so either way it's not a good scenario. If you do have the zebras taking them out would probably be less beneficial for that species because they're schooling fish. I don't know much about corys so that's not my place to say anything about haha! I mean if you can't get a bigger tank then maybe relocate a few glofish. Other than that there's not much you can do. Or change from glos to something else completely. Good luck though, I hope you don't have as many casualties as I did, if any!

•Just keep swimming•

i only have one tank, i have to really figure this one out.

You'll be fine, just do what you can with it because that's all anyone can do right :) I'm by no means an expert (just started with glofish a month ago ?) so what I say could totally contradict what will really happen.

•Just keep swimming•

Back
Top Bottom