Glofish - thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vnessa123456

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I had three glofish in my old 5 gallon tank. They seemed fine, until I examined one closely and found that it had gotten misshapen.

I researched glofish and found out that their colors are not naturally occurring. A company injects each fish (which starts out as a zebra danio) with a type of jellyfish protein, creating the bright colors.

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was of this procedure.

When I found out, I was horrified. While I do think it is a good idea to bring attractive fish to pet stores to entice people into becoming aquarium enthusiasts, I also can't imagine that this process would be anything but invasive and harmful to the fish.

Glo fish are genetically modified. They are not injected.

Glo's/danios are very active schoolers. They need to be kept in a school of atleast 6. IMO min. tank size for them is a 20 long or 29 gal.

Agree with siva. Some people are uncomfortable with genetically modified animals, but there is nothing cruel involved. They are born with the trait since it has been implanted in their genes.

I have Glofish and other Danios, and they are all wonderful little fish and I'm happy I have them :)

Glo fish are genetically modified. They are not injected.

Glo's/danios are very active schoolers. They need to be kept in a school of atleast 6. IMO min. tank size for them is a 20 long or 29 gal.

Huh, I guess that's a lot better than injections. Now that I think about it, it would be pretty impractical to inject every single fish.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it, but I do admit they are pretty fascinating to watch. I learned my lesson not to hang on to that tiny tank though. It wasn't big enough for a school of anything really, and it was really difficult to maintain correct water parameters.

Agreed, they are genetically modified, not injected. The reason your fish were deformed is they were kept in a tank too small for their activity level. This can cause stunting, curvature and deformation of the spine, etc.

Wouldn't the bright colors make the fry more likely to get eaten? If So maybe there IS a flaw! Haha! Lol.

Wouldn't the bright colors make the fry more likely to get eaten? If So maybe there IS a flaw! Haha! Lol.
maybe,but it might work to there advantage,why do dart frogs have such bright colours? to say "dont eat me,ill kill you". most predators are pretty smart,smart enough to realize that they could be poisonous.

edit:i just realized you might of meant in community aquariums

alLexX said:
maybe,but it might work to there advantage,why do dart frogs have such bright colours? to say "dont eat me,ill kill you". most predators are pretty smart,smart enough to realize that they could be poisonous.

edit:i just realized you might of meant in community aquariums

Well no, I suppose that's true even in communities. It just seems like the unnaturally bright colors would make it harder for the fish to blend in, and would attract predators... Wait... This is still on topic right?!

To answer your question, by genetically modifying Glofish to show bright fluorescent colors, we have completely taken nature out of the equation so it's a moot point. Yes, they would be more vulnerable to predation IF they existed in the wild but they don't (hopefully they haven't been released by irresponsible hobbyists yet).

But this thread has gone way off topic. Back on topic please.

I had three glofish in my old 5 gallon tank. They seemed fine, until I examined one closely and found that it had gotten misshapen.

I researched glofish and found out that their colors are not naturally occurring. A company injects each fish (which starts out as a zebra danio) with a type of jellyfish protein, creating the bright colors.

I was just wondering what everyone's opinion was of this procedure.

When I found out, I was horrified. While I do think it is a good idea to bring attractive fish to pet stores to entice people into becoming aquarium enthusiasts, I also can't imagine that this process would be anything but invasive and harmful to the fish.

As previously stated, it's a man-made manipulation. And unfortunately it looks like they are doing it to other fish species, I saw a glow in the dark angelfish not too long ago.

Personal thoughts, I don't really object to it morally like I do to intentional hybrids, but I just find them tacky looking, like multicolor neon gravel.

Yes but these fish did serve a purpose first they were used to detect pollution in rivers and lakes ect. so chances are there is some in the wild if they didn't get eaten so I have no problem with this fish spacificly cause it had a very great use it was only an after thought that hobbiests would be interested in these fish so they were trademarked and sold so breeding and selling is a no no but bending is a common thing with glofish just because it's a new species and the "bugs" haven't been worked out

In my case Glofish are for the greater good. They're what the wife really wanted and it's helped get her involved in the hobby. I completely understand people being uncomfortable with genetically modifying animals (not sure I'd eat one, lol), but I think if they can bring a new, responsible generation of people into the hobby without causing harm to the animal, it can be a good thing. Personally I like having them in the tank, they're a bit tacky to some (lots in fact), but they definitely add splashes of color and are fun to watch and enjoy. And after all...that's what the hobby is about :)

But it isn't a new species. It's Danio rerio with modified DNA.

The pollution detection thing failed so hopefully it ended with lab tests.

In my case Glofish are for the greater good. They're what the wife really wanted and it's helped get her involved in the hobby. I completely understand people being uncomfortable with genetically modifying animals (not sure I'd eat one, lol), but I think if they can bring a new, responsible generation of people into the hobby without causing harm to the animal, it can be a good thing. Personally I like having them in the tank, they're a bit tacky to some (lots in fact), but they definitely add splashes of color and are fun to watch and enjoy. And after all...that's what the hobby is about :)

People say the same thing about hybrid, balloon and tattoed/dyed fish. I'm sure there are plenty of people who get into fishkeeping because they like the look of blood parrots that are so deformed that they cannot close their mouths, dye injected fruit tetras, or a molly with their initials tattooed on it.

I definitely agree though, that if the fish aren't being harmed in the process, then it's a non-issue, and at least its attracting more people to the hobby.
Glofish started with a benign purpose which failed miserably and now they are profiting off of it. That's cool, but its weird to think that they have patent/trademark rights over a living creature.

It's unlikely they are going to make a large impact in the wild, if any are still around out there. With that kind of coloration they are just begging to be eaten.

The bending thing is not really a bug to be worked out, it's likely a genetic trait and evidence of too much inbreeding. It's actually fairly common in line bred/selectively bred species.

severum mama said:
But it isn't a new species. It's Danio rerio with modified DNA.

The pollution detection thing failed so hopefully it ended with lab tests.

Yes it is a zebra danio which is not new but it's DNA is altered so even if it's 5 years old it's still "new" it they made humans neon colors there may be some problems down the the road this is just my opinion I am not saying it's right just the way I look at it also I find it eye opening if they can alter DNA maybe they can cure desieses before we are born who knows what scientific possibilities this may open

Hence the "without causing harm to the animal" quote in my post. IMO, there is a difference between (*edit to avoid confusion- Glofish which are unharmed) and fish that are bred for deformity which causes them quality of life issues as well as dyed fish which are potentially treated inhumanely.

I think the real concern is how they will be marketed in the future. Since the colorations are bound to be popular with younger people (and my wife, lol), it's always a concern they will be marketed with add ons similar to "Betta Houses" that provide far less than satisfactory conditions for the animals.

So as for my overall thoughts on Glofish...if they are treated humanly, marketed responsibly and the genetically modified aspect doesn't take some sort of outlandish turn (here comes the "where will it stop?" conversation") I don't see the negatives other than the overall unappealing appearance they have to some. Especially due to the fact that as far as I know, they are fully functional and healthy Danios with the exception of the color variations.

* nice last minute edit my friend, lol

Last edited:
yeah I wanted to clarify because after rereading my post it looked a little confrontational when it wasn't meant to be.

It's hard to draw a line in what is ethical and what isn't. I mean, is it o.k. to intentionally hybridize to make new fish, like the flowerhorns with the huge nuchal humps? I don't know if the hybridization has caused any type of physical issue to effect their quality of life. But then you have blood parrots which are obviously deformed.

And then you have to define 'quality of life'. Is a fishes quality of life affected by super long flowy fins or extremely bright colors? I'm going to say probably. Most fish in the wild are not very flashy, and while some are beautifully colored, once they hit aquaria and are given time to be selectively bred, those colors/fins/etc are all exaggerated to a point that would not likely to have ever happened naturally.

@ryan: honestly, I find it scary that they can alter DNA like that. As eco hinted to, the 'where will they stop' thing, if they can cure things, they can also start selectively breeding humans with different desired traits, so to speak. I'd like to leave that one between me and my maker.

Better living thru science. I just hope this kind od tinkering helps science learn and maybe save lives some day.
My wife wants some of these Glofish. Will the different color versions school together? She wants 2 of each of the 4 color varietys.

Back
Top Bottom