Gloves: to wear or not to wear?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amazonwoman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been reading a lot about all of the nasty little organisms you can find in an aquarium and think it may be a good idea to get some long gloves. I also think it would protect the fish from my lotion, soap etc residue. I'm also getting sick of washing my arm up to the shoulder after I have to arrange something at the bottom.
Does anyone else out there wear gloves? If so, where can I find some? I've looked around on the net and can't find ANY to order!

I forgot to add-I have found the expensive thick rubber gloves but I'm looking for something thinner and cheaper.

shawmutt said:
If you have allergies, or immune deficiencies, I'd say yes, wear them. Otherwise, they seem more bother than they're worth.

I agree....after 3 decades of putting my bare hands in hundreds of tanks each year, I have yet to get anything more than dry skin.

I have a recurring problem with some kind of fungus-like rash. Looks like very mild poison ivy. I seem to get it after cleaning the filter on one tank in particular. Some antifungal cream seems to make it go away but it's a little worrisome. At first I was afraid my fingers would fall off at the knuckle...

If you have open wounds or sores on your hands, it would be smart to wear gloves.

However, I found a nice set of long tongs is also very handy,and prevents alot of hand-in-water scenarios.

Yikes!!!

Phlegethon,

You MUST wear gloves from now on. This is clearly an allergic reaction and it will continue to get worse as time goes on. If you have a dog or cat and have a Veterinarian ask them to get you some arms length gloves....they are thinner than a lot of other gloves so you don't lose the "feel" while working in your tank and your vet can get them for you MUCH cheaper than you can get them yourself.

Here is what a reefkeeper named SaltyQueen who is also a nurse discussed about this issue.
The information about the development of allergies is correct- allergic reactions don't happen the first time someone is exposed to the allergen- it takes multiple exposures for your body to develop histamines against the allergen (histamines cause allergic symptoms), and the more times you are exposed to a possible irritant, the worse your reaction could get. So.... always use gloves! Just because something didn't bother you the first few times you touched it, doesn't mean it never will!
I can vouch for this. I got stung by bees many times growing up without problem other than the "ouchie". However, the last time I got stung I went into anaphylactic shock. I was swelled up like the Michelin Man and got to the point where I could barely breathe. The doctor said the next time I get stung, I would likely die. As a result, I have to carry an Epi-Pen anytime I mountain bike or ride horses in the woods now.

I truly know absolutely nothing about freshwater fish tanks....only saltwater. However, the above info is going to apply to both.

Back
Top Bottom