Glowing Fish w/ fluorescent gene of jellyfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottw68TN

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Shopkeepers call them "Night Pearls." Some have nicknamed them "Frankenfish." Their makers at the Taipei-based Taikong Corporation use the less catchy name "TK-1" — the world's first genetically engineered fluorescent fish. The Taiwan developers injected the green fluorescent gene of jellyfish into the embryo of ricefish to make the colourless freshwater fish glow in the dark. Environmentalists fear the genetically engineered fish could pose a threat to the earth's ecosystem.
They also plan to introduce multicolour fluorescent pet fish, including red, purple and blue.
Now the fish are about to cross the Pacific and swim into the U.S. market.
Anybody have strong feelings on this.

Anybody have strong feelings on this.

Don't much like it at all.

Manipulation through breeding has gone on for centuries, I'm ok with that, but Genetic Engineering? to cure disease, maybe, but for PETS??? NO WAY!!!

I also not supporting unnatural fish (inc fancy gold fish; those poor thing cat even swim propoerly with those spilt tail and 'bubble' eye).

but SW glow in the dark fish!!!! Hmmm they sure got my soft spot on these issue. but stilll as long as i dont see 1 at lfs i wounld try not buy them....

Evidently they make them sterile so they won't breed and muck up the gene pool.
They don't seem affected in any way. Maybe they will make those 3 eyed simpsons fish next. Or little hands with thumbs! Then they could really mess up the decor in the tank. (think oscars with muscles)

Couple of comments as this type of post has been going around the forums for a while now.

They do NOT glow in the dark. The flouresce in blacklite. If you don't have a blacklite, you won't see them in the dark.

They are not completely sterile. Best they can do is 90% sterility which is not enough IMHO.

They were originally modified for biological study. Then someone got the bright (heh) idea to market them to layfolk. Personally I don't have a prob with using them for study; I do think they will wind up in our waterways if they are sold in fish stores tho, and that makes me uncomfortable.

More info on the scientific aspect here: http://www.zygogen.com/zebrafish.asp

I was going to post a thread on this, but ended up unable to find the pix--they were on a site, and then later removed.

I'm concerned about the idea. I'm not into genetic modification at all. We really don't have ANY idea what the consequences of these changes might be, and whether they might eventually have an effect on humans (more of a concern with vegetables, of course...).

I'm generally unhappy about hybrid and otherly-modified fish because there are already so many beautiful fish out there. Why modify what's already beautiful??

I have to admit, I don't have a prob with them being used for scientific study. One of the things they are looking at is diabetes, which killed my mom. No offense LOL I lurve my fishies, but I'd have well sacrificed em to save her. My prob is treating them like decorations; I am positive they are going to wind up in our water ways and survive, especially when someone discovers they don't glow by themselves.

Fish are our friends not food
-Finding Nemo

I love my fish
thats all

Back
Top Bottom