gluing live rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lekker11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am considering attaching some small pieces of live rock to the back glass of my reef tank. These small pieces otherwise collect on the bottom of the tank. Has anyone ever done this, and if so, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I agree with austinsdad.... I see no reason to actually do this...but i guess to answer your question, there's not a whole lot of options here. That underwater putty stuff doesn't stick very well (or at all) to glass, so good luck with that one...really the only thing i can think of that would help would be to use that foam stuff...but at that point you might as well just cover the entire back of the tank...and i still see no reason to glue rocks on it lol.

I was trying to come up with ways to hide the overflow in the back of the tank. Most of it is already covered by LR but near the top and sides where the plastic overflow meets the glass back. I was thinking of attaching different types of aquascape, whether LR or something else, just to make it look more natural.

Bad idea to glue to the glass. You can still build rock around anything you want to hide but if you could glue it to glass you`ll have some serious stress isues on the glass. It`s one thing to be laying on the glass another to be pulling down on the glass.

Glue? Heavens no... use aquarium silicone! That is, if you feel that you MUST attach something to the glass. It's the same stuff they use to adhere/seal two pieces of aquarium glass together. Make sure it's aquarium silicone, because the normal silicone you get at Home Depot is toxic.

I have seen online somewhere cant remember where but there was a hanger that you could drill the rock and mount it to the glass. I would try to google it and see if you can find it

Cut eggcrate to form fit around the overflow to your liking; Make sure you sandwich two sheets to double up for strength and ziptie them together. Then use thick zipties and attach to eggcrate (easier to do outside of tank). To bind the rocks for added strength and cover exposed eggcrate, use Great Stuff: Pond and Stone. If you want the foam to match the liverock you can use a 2part adhesive (Devcon or similar) and apply atop the foam. Then use dry aragonite (finer the better) to cover before the adhesive cures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom