Glutaraldehyde as aquarium bactericide?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
I'm wondering glut dosing (eg API co2 booster for planted tanks) may kill off nitrifying bacteria? I've never managed to notice anything (even overdosing) but could it be possible given it is meant to sterilise hospital equipment?

In moderation I wouldn't think it'd take it to the point if failure. A massive overdose could/would most likely have a negative effect. Think it would kill the fauna before the tank would crash anyways though??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's a good point on fauna. I've assumed bacteria would be the first to go but maybe not.

I'm dosing roughly 1ml per 2 gallon (recommended is 1ml per 10 gallon just for reference) and wondering if I should stick with that or back it off. I think Rivercats(?) had it down to 1ml per gallon(?) but I don't know I'm that game.

I'm dosing to add to the co2 injection as well as any BBA control the glut provides. The trouble I think is that I can't see much difference between normal glut dosing and overdosing.

The BBA over the last month has slowed down but less lighting, fixing the co2 injection to make it stable and a few algae eaters might be doing the bulk of it. Idk.

I think it would be nice to know what happens if glut is overdosed to the point of causing something but I can't find much info on what that something might be? There seems to be dire warnings about glut and overdosing but I've never heard of an actual problem with it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom