Goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diamond goby, green or orange is one of my all time favorite reef fish. I am however suspicious that he had something to do with the disappearance of a banded coral shrimp that is mia.

My LFS has a diamond goby and I don't have any sand sifting fish so I was thinking of getting it. But I was also thinking about a yellow watchman. Which do you think is better for a beginner

They are both very easy fish to care for, depends on what you like.

The watchman goby sifts some sand but only around his hole and he doesn't leave his hole very much, always peering out though.

The diamond goby will sift all the sand and keep it very clean, the water might be murky for the first few weeks though until your goby settles down.

In my opinion the diamond goby is way cooler than the watchman goby, way more personality and is always out and about.

As long as they have some sand to sift and are eating good, I think you could keep one in a pretty small tank, at least a 40 or 50 gallon.
Mine like the shrimp pellets that sink to the bottom. So he is pretty fat most of the time. But it doesn't matter, he constantly sifts the sand.
They can get fairly big, but are very peaceful, but sure able to take care of themselves as well.

Ok well I'll think about it. They certainly look awesome. Whats the brand of the pellets?

I'll check and post back. Been buying them at the LFS, come in a short plastic bottle. The only dry food I feed and darn if the fish don't love them. Nice because they go pretty much straight to the bottom where the Goby is waiting.

It's called Neutrafin Max pellitized fish food.
Full of nutrients. I mix it with frozen brine, some shrimp, sometimes some frozen feast and sheets of dried algae for the Tangs. Everyone gets fed.

I am a newbie and bought a orange diamond, he has been a blast to watch but the sand is still kicked up a little, patience is key with it. He is becoming a pig and will almost eat from my dropper when I put food near his burrow. He got sick of hermit crabs getting in to his burrow so he barricaded the entrance with shells! So entaining to watch such a little dude with a big personality

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110526_223456.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110526_223456.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 185
  • ForumRunner_20110526_223511.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110526_223511.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 237
I am a little biased but I would give him a 9,only because of the sand disturbance irritating me. Bur I've been told that'll get better with time

Well I can't give a good answer since I only know what I've researched between the two, but my understanding is that the watchman isn't a outgoing fish (wont be out side his burrow a ton aside from eating) as to where my diamond goby is always out and about of the burrow.

So if you want one you can watch most, of guess the diamond over watchman

I'm asking a lot of questions because I'm going Dow to my LFS today and will reserve him and pick him up in a day or two. Im getting my anemone today and the goby will be next

Just a warning about the anemone (I just read that it's a 30 gallon tank), they get really large, I had one in my 28 gallon and had to remove it because it got very large very quickly and ended up killing alot of my other corals, it even killed one fish before I could get it moved.

Back
Top Bottom