going on vacation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquabeast

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i know this time will come, i have 3 aquariums currently running, a 55 29 and a 10, ill be going to myrtle beach this summer for a week.. is it best to try automatic feeders, having my friend drop ny and feeding them or just letting them go and hoping for the best? i hope that while im gone my nitrates dont go up.. i may do a pwc the day i leave to be safe..

I would definitely have a friend drop by. Some report success with automatic feeders, but it's risky. Most agree that the majority of fish will be fine for 1 week, but I would never let any pet go unfed for that long.

Have a friend feed them once or twice using pre-portioned amounts. A water change before you leave is always preferable. I have let fish go for up to 8 days, but I prefer to go no more than 3.

You may want to look at Nodak's thead. He did the same thing, going on vacation for 8 days, but didn't feed his fish the entire time. He ended up with no casualties.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...i-was-away-on-vacation-for-8-days-148110.html

I was gone for well over a week, so I used an automatic fish feeder. It worked fine; no fish deaths, but many ghost shrimp down for the count. I'm thinking they became snacks.

Some are. Fry, really small nano fish, growing discus, etc. need more frequent feedings. Are you growing anything out right now or are your fish
"adult"?

Hi-I'm new to this forum, but wanted to suggest using one of those pill dispensers you can get at any drugstore to premeasure food. I use two when I go on vacation, and even the neighbor kid who fish-sits for me can manage it. Just pops open the right day-of-the-week compartment and dumps it in. No overfeeding or and wards off even well-intentioned creativity.
Plans for our vacation suddenly on hold due to birth of about a million guppy fry...can't trust the kid with this yet I don't think!

Loachmaniac said:
Hi-I'm new to this forum, but wanted to suggest using one of those pill dispensers you can get at any drugstore to premeasure food. I use two when I go on vacation, and even the neighbor kid who fish-sits for me can manage it. Just pops open the right day-of-the-week compartment and dumps it in. No overfeeding or and wards off even well-intentioned creativity.
Plans for our vacation suddenly on hold due to birth of about a million guppy fry...can't trust the kid with this yet I don't think!

That's a great idea with the pill dispenser Loach! God knows someone would knock it over if I put it in little cups or something.

Hey welcome to AA :D Great tip, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom