going planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Got the light, got flourish exel, and so far a java fern. Id like some grassy plants, but figured somthing over my sand would be best. Its barley an inch, so I can just put it on top. Flourite sounds good, but they have some natural dirt stuff at my lfs that seemed interesting. Idk if it was dirt or what, but it was different than flourite, ill be going there in a bit, so I can figure out what all they got. How important is this stuff, could I just add more sand?

This is a good debate ... PFS vs going with flourite or eco complete (I think) etc. IDK ... I'd say go with PFS and add the nutrients. I've read that all these substrates eventually run out of the nutrients they come with so eventually your just stuck with it as your substrate. Maybe someone who's used it can better comments.

By pfs you mean pool filter sand? Mine is not pfs, its black aquarium sand (don't know if that makes any diff.) Also what other things do I need to add (nutrients) what quality brand like searchem makes these? Going to store noww :)

By pfs you mean pool filter sand? Mine is not pfs, its black aquarium sand (don't know if that makes any diff.) Also what other things do I need to add (nutrients) what quality brand like searchem makes these? Going to store noww :)

Same difference, PFS is generally silica sand ... at least by me .. it's the size of the grains that's the difference. Assuming yours is just a different rock type .. but the same size grain ... PFS is a bit coarser than play sand but fine enough to really anchor the roots .... IMO.

Although I'm far from being the planted king ... I buy Seachem root tabs for my amazon swords and flourish for the others. I've heard nothing but good things about Seachem.

Eco-complete is gravel substrate with nutrients and I believe bacteria to promote plant growth and other aquarium benefits. In all honesty ... I'm considering mineralized soil for my next tank. The soil on the bottom topped with PFS and gravel on top in areas for the look. IDK ... to many choices ... ugh!

I prefer using a high cec substrate for planted tanks, it holds the nutrients better rather than having 'hot spots' in the portions that have root tabs. But both methods work just fine, and if you add something to the top of your current sand you will likely have it mixing eventually. If it's something like playsand on the bottom, it may get anaerobic and all stanky, so another thing to think about.

If you want to get heavy into planted, just move the sand out and put down some mineralized topsoil (i have extensive experience with this), or go the walstad method, and you can put the sand back on top of it.

I hate flourite, it just never gets clean. I have 2 different methods I like. Potting soil with PFS on top, and then other tanks have black floramax. The floramax is made by the same company as eco complete, and is basically the same stuff (there are different grain sizes... most common floramax is bigger grained than most common eco complete).

I decided to stick with my sand (may add eco in a week) got flourish tabs, have the exel, got a brinks brand digi timer for 10 bucks, and I got anubias, a micro sword, and they gave me an extra free. I also now have 2 10,000k 14w daylight bulbs, as the others made their tanks look a bit weird (the color) hopefully I'm going through this right, I'm excited, as I've been out all week, and now I can use this light cuz I has a timer. Ill post pics in a bit

if you use mineralized topsoil and go by the instructions, the clay in it will keep the soil down (and add as a source of iron) if it happens to come up past the sand. IDK about straight potting soil, never tried it that way.

well, for now I have flourish tabs, the exel, and 2 10,000 k 14 wtt. Daylight bulbs. Unfortunatly the timer I got won't fit my 3 prong plg, so plants will have to get by until tomorow. For 8am to noon, then off til 4, then on til 10, would that be a good light schedual each day?? Also, got some anubias, a amazon sword, and they gave me a free one, no clue what it is. Ill post pics soon

Here's some pics. Anubias, amazon sword, and java fern. Not sure what the one in the front left is though.... any ideas... lfs people always talk me into stuff lol :(

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110716_213605.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_213605.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 82
  • ForumRunner_20110716_213628.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_213628.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 98
  • ForumRunner_20110716_213709.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_213709.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 89
  • ForumRunner_20110716_213755.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_213755.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 84
  • ForumRunner_20110716_213818.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_213818.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 87
  • ForumRunner_20110716_213904.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_213904.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 77
Ugh, so that's not amazoon sword, I've figured...but I still like it, I guess I need to take my phone with me next time to google these things

Back
Top Bottom