Gold dust molly heavily pregnant in week?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopeGR

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought the gold dust molly exactly a week ago, and today out of nowhere, I see a box-like bulge belly. In seven days? Granted, I have a tank of ten mollys, balloon and bumble bee mollys, out of which only 2 are male. I was so surprised since she barely ate the whole week. She was the last to eat because all the others would attack the food first.

Also, my 2 bumble bee mollys which are female, where purchased Nov. 12 and I believe they were already pregnant. Why haven't they given birth yet? They are heavily pregnant as well, and I love the fact that out of all the female mollys, the bumble bees are the most peaceful of all. They don't attack the others at all.

So your pregnant molly may not be a pregnant molly. It depends on where the bulge in the belly is. If the bulge is more forward then it’s less likely that it’s pregnancy as it is fat from overeating or an intestinal disease of some sort. If the bulge is happening closer to the anal fin on the other hand, then it is likely pregnant. All that being said, it would be best if you could get us a picture so we can see and let you know.

Re:

Interesting point and good to know since I am still new to this hobby. I wanted to post pictures, however, my first attempt was not successful. With regards to your point, it is still unclear to me, as with the gold molly, the bulge seems more to the back and since the weekend it definitely got bigger - I got her Dec 5. Whereas the bumble bee molly, the bulge is half-circle if you will, but I believe I see her gravid spot. Let me see if I can post...

photos:

Attachments

• gold 1.jpg
    gold 1.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 56
  • gold 2.jpg
    gold 2.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 56
  • bumble 1.jpg
    bumble 1.jpg
    244.6 KB · Views: 66
Back