Gold mystery snail not moving :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tabkiel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone!!

I'm new to this forum, as well as new to the hobby. I had one goldfish and a koi, both of which are dead now, due to me not knowing how to care for them. They had a tankmate, a gold mystery snail (Pomacea bridgesii, I believe) who is luckily alive now!

She (I call her "she", but I don't know her sex) was moved to my bedroom yesterday and she did seem quite active, playing around her little rock decoration and eating the boiled broccoli I gave her (she needs calcium).

A few hours ago, however, she just... stopped moving. She's alive, as she flinches when I poke her (which I obviously don't do excessively) and moves her little antennae around but she's not going anywhere and I'm very worried.

She's currently holding onto her rock playplace and just sticking her breathing tube (whose name I don't know, sorry) out and I don't know what to do!! She ate plenty from the glass and from the broccoli I gave her so maybe she's... digesting?? Or building her shell??

Slightly irrelevant (or not): I saw those detritus worms on the glass and it seems they've multiplied. I also saw a planaria, which, as far as I'm concerned, is a huge problem.

If anyone could help me, I'd be very happy!! :(

~ Tenshi

Sorry to hear about your Koi and GF.

What size tank do you have?

How long has it been running?

What is your water change schedule and how much water do you change?

What are your water parameters?

Ammonia
NitrIte
Nitrate

pH

TDS

GH/KH

Possibly just digesting the food as you mentioned.

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle? Do

Ok, so I just realized I am wildly unprepared for an aquarium! I'll try to answer your questions as best as I can.

It's a 3 liter tank

I've had it for a few months

I changed all the water yesterday, cleaned everything and killed all the detritus worms

As for the water parameters, I don't know.

I know about the nitrification cycle, but I don't know how it applies in aquariums.

Also, while cleaning my snail's tank, I placed her in a little container with mineral water. She was moving around a lot, and she seemed fine. I haven't checked on her this morning.

Thanks for the help!

~ Tenshi

The article link in my signature is a helpful, informative bit which will also explain how the nitrification cycle works in an aquarium. It will provide a good foundation for keeping an aquarium correctly.

Back
Top Bottom