golden algae'eater in cardinal tank ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bra_van_drakh

Aquarium Advice Activist
i'm still keeping 10 cardinals in 20gal well planted tank and just wondering if i could mix them with a couple of golden algae eater, since my brother said that my tank looks very dull with only those inhabitants.. .is it a good idea ??? i heard that GAEs are aggressive and sort of territorial. ..

any other possibilities for an extra inhabitants ???

don't get those. It's just a chinese algae eater. They get kinda nasty with other fish, and dont really eat algae all that well.

how about cories, rubbernose / clown pleco, otocinclus, bristlenose pleco, shrimp, etc

I'd have to second the warning against the golden algae eater. They get to be mean little buggers. However mine was real good at tearing through the algae, probably depends on the type of algae.

I might suggest a Gold Nugget Pleco or a Flash Pleco

They're both on the more interesting side, which of course also means they're not good beginner fish. If your confident with your tank though, they're high on the cool looking and cuteness factors.

Gold nuggets get to be around 4". I would recommend a 30 gal min for them. I would get otos or a true SAE for that tank.

CAE's get large and can get aggressive. Mine is 9" and in with a tank of adult African cichlids.

i already have 15 RCSs plus ~25 tiny pond snails for the cleaning crew, but what i'm looking up to is a centerpiece. ..i tried a silver angel, and it looked great but it didnt work out, she chased my cardinals. ..so today i added 3 rainbow praecox and 2 hengli's rasboras[thinking adding 4 rasboras n move the rainbows out] or do i have any other suggestions ??

i was interested in corries though, but can they be kept in a 20 gal ??? i thought that they'll need to be in a group of at least 6. . .if it's possible, then i'll change my rasboras n rainbows with 6 sterling corries. . .

bra_van_drakh said:
i was interested in corries though, but can they be kept in a 20 gal ??? i thought that they'll need to be in a group of at least 6. . .if it's possible, then i'll change my rasboras n rainbows with 6 sterling corries. . .

I think you are starting to push the limit on your bioload, IMO.

For a 20 gallon tank, you have it pretty loaded already.

Of course this is a planted tank. But still, after adding the rainbows, that pretty much took up all the space you had left.

Of am I just reading it wrong? Are you wanting to add the cory's or replace what you have with cory's?

BTW, I would be VERY careful with having RCS and rainbows in the same tank.

i meant that i'd put in some corries in replacement of the rainbows. . ..i've moved my rainbows last night though, since they seemed to be rather agressive.. .

so. . .should i add anything to fill the empty space ot the mid top of the tank ??? or 2 rasboras would be sufficient ???

Back
Top Bottom