Golden Topminnow (Fundulus Chrysotus) -jetajockey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Fish Profile-
Common name: Golden Topminnow

Scientific name: Fundulus Chrysotus

Native range: Southeast USA, mostly Florida along with some sporadic areas in GA, SC, to eastern TX, and along the mississippi all the way up to around KY

Native habitat: Sluggish, slow moving streams, still water swamps, heavily vegetated areas.

Compatible tankmates: Community fish in general, >1" in size.

Recommended tank size: 10g+

Lifespan: Approximately 2 years.

Size: Up to about 2.5", average size around 2"

Diet: Varied, readily accepts pellets and flakes.

Description: A slender fish much like other killifish species. They have a beautiful light yellow body and with yellow and iridescent blue speckling. Males have gold flecks as well as red dots near the back portion of the fish.

Behavior: An ideal setup would be to have a dominant male along with a few adult females. However, these fish seem to establish a pecking order quite well and will shoal together without much issue, so getting a group of juveniles or random mixes works out as well.

Reproduction: Same as many other killifish species, mature and healthy fish lay a few eggs at a time for several days, utilizing a spawning mop, tank walls, or plants. For best survival rate, eggs should be removed from the tank and hatched separately.

General: I've been keeping these guys for several months now. They are hardy no-fuss fish that readily adapt to various tank conditions. They eat most anything that they are fed, so they are a good addition to a community. They spend much of their time at the top (hence the topminnow name), but can be found in all levels when foraging. They readily attack/eat dwarf shrimp and will decimate a colony in days.

These fish are not aggressive to other fish in the tank, and stay small enough to be kept with nanos without fear of predation.

img_1478672_0_43c5d5c9d30e9e3ee3c2c52233c3facd.jpg

img_1478672_1_afcf22673506c0c610f360008f861fde.jpg

Will update with new pics soon!

This is an awesome post! I used to catch these in White Trout lake in Tampa and I never new what they were! Thanks for the identification!

Back
Top Bottom