Goldfish and elite style 60 x 30 cm tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swheller

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I have the above tank and I have 3 goldfish. One is a fantail that is now 7" head to tail, another fantail that is around 3" and a common goldfish that has turned White. My question is are the fish now too big for the tank and will I need to sell them. They my little boys fish so it would be a shame to get rid of them. Lately the water had got a White cloudy substance in that I can't seem to get rid of with water changes.

Any help most appreciated

Steve

Welcome to AA!

This is 60 liters right? If so, I would say that they are too big for the aquarium. 1 single fancy goldfish needs 20 gallons of water alone and 10 gallons of water per additional fancy goldfish.

The Common variety, however, needs at least 100+ gallon ponds to live and thrive in. (They can get 12-13 inches and are big waster producers).

If you could, try and find new homes for the Goldfish, and replace them with a bright active fish, such as Glofish or guppies. :)

OK, I will change your title from " (short for inches here!) to cm. BTW - the fish measurements - are those " also cms?

60 cm tank is too small for the common. Commons get big & really need a pond, or at least a 6 foot tank (72" or 182cm).

The 7" (inches) fantail might be too big also. It all depends how big the tail is! Normal convention for goldfish measurement is to measure without the tail. Since goldfish have varying tail length, you can be looking at a small fish with long tail - like a veil, or a big fish with short tail - eg Ryukin. The advice would be really different depends on which you have.

Your tank is a bit on the small side (15 gal for US readers). 2 fantails would be doable with lots of water changes, although 20-30 is much better. <If you truly have a 7 inch fancy (not counting tail), you would be better off with a 40 or 50 breeder ... A fish that size is special & deserves the best in accommodations.>

Back
Top Bottom