Goldfish and Plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelWings

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi All!
I have a 46 gallon bowfront with 5 fancy goldfish in it. I'd love to make it into a planted tank, but I don't know if the goldies will leave the plants alone. What do you think? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Angelwings,

Goldies in general love plants--think salad! My goldies and others like to uproot their salad. So here's the solution--plants you can tie to driftwood, rocks of that float. I must admit that anacharis floating only lasts a month or so until there's nothing less, but they love nibbling on it. On the other hand, anubias and java ferns stay attached to driftwood or rock and grow!
Enjoy!
Chris

I have eight 6+ inch fancy goldfish and they are in planted tanks. I do have DW with anubia and java fern but I also use these rubbery plant anchors that really holds the plants in place, even through their grazing. I have swords, dwarf val, couple different types of cryts, and then narrowleaf temple and ambulia for them to graze on. I put duckweed in there off and on but it is eaten in a couple of hours.

Here's a link to show you the anchors I use...
Professional Plant Anchors (on sale)(reg. $2.29)

Feed them lots of daily veggies and they won't bother your plants. My tanks are happily planted without an issue (except for being away- then they go to town on the plants if i dont have someone feeding them). The plant anchors Rivercats suggested are great for preventing uprooting/digging, especially with gravel or new plants that don't have established root systems yet. :)

You know jkl I feed mine lots of veggies too and they still nibble on my plants! Guess your veggies are better than mine!

I couldn't keep plants anchored in the goldies tanks until I got those anchors, they are truely wonderful.

Back
Top Bottom