Goldfish at the end - thoughts on euthanasia please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fis

Aquarium Advice Regular
After all that we've been through with trying to help my 10 1/2 year old fish, we've made the decision that he may be in pain now, and we've decided to go through with euthanizing him. It's absolutely heartbreaking.

I've found two vets that will do it - one told me they inject a solution straight into the heart. The other wasn't sure as the vet wasn't in, but she said she believes it's an injection. Neither want me present for it.

Is this common? Is that how it's done? My friend who's a vet tech said its' generally a bath, or an injection into the abdomen...

I don't want him to suffer. That's all I care about at this point...

Sorry to hear about your goldfish ... I had to put down (icebath) a Green TigerBarb over the weekend I've had for 5 months and that was tough ... can't imagine a 10.5 yr old fish.

Thanks...I'm sorry for your loss too...

I'm just a mess...over a fish...I can't believe it...

I've made an appointment at the vet closer to my home. They seem nice and are apparently experienced. It's $100 I don't have, which is such a rip I think - but they anesthesize him and give him an injection - supposed to be quick and painless - I don't think I can handle doing it myself...

It's probably on par with how they would euthanize any other animal. There are plenty of very humane ways that aren't going to cost $100. Maybe you can have a friend do it for you? I have my dad deal with anything of that sort. Even as an adult, it still troubles me. There's a sticky on this site that may help tour decision.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Thank you.

I looked at the sticky and was considering those options...
Unfortunately there's really no-one else to do it...

But thank you - I appreciate the thought, and it certainly would be nice to save the money that I don't really have...

Thank you :( That's very sweet.

He's such a nice goldy...and now I just feel bad I didn't do more when he was alive...been meaning to buy more plants for months...never did...should've done this, that...but I hope he had a nice life..

Okay. Hello. First off, I am sorry for the pain you are going through. I told my family bout your fish situation and they all say that I should type you advice: please get perspective. While you are attached to your fish, of which I have nø doubt. Your fish does not suffer, as he has nø central nervous system. Also, I am sure you were great to your fish, as evident in your suffering for his passing. Please donate the $100 to a worthy charity rather than paying a vet to euthanize your goldfish who cannot physically suffer.

I appreciate your concern and your thoughts. However there are conflicting articles on weather or not fish feel pain. I like the summary by Temple Grandin= she argues that fish could still have consciousness without a neocortex because "different species can use different brain structures and systems to handle the same functions." from Wiki.

So I certainly appreciate your thoughts, but after almost 11 years of life, I would like the little man to go as easily as possible. His life was worth way more than $100 and I can never repay the nice times over the past 10 years.

My question was more as to whether the method I mentioned was the best, and most humane way to go.

But thank you.

Thank you AlLexX for adding that...

I'm trying to be nice but I thought I was going to lose it over that one...

Thank you AlLexX for adding that...

I'm trying to be nice but I thought I was going to lose it over that one...
your welcome,i hate when peopl say that fish cant feel pain,suffer,etc

Reactions: fis
I'm sorry to hear that your fish is ill. I understand this isn't an easy time and you and your family are sad. I've euthanized two of my fish, Tiger and Cleo. Both of them were beautiful fish until they fell ill. Tiger was a three year old Oranda and Cleo was a 4 year old Ryukin. I didn't have the funds to have them put to sleep so I did it myself. After a lot of research on the internet I chose the clove oil and vodka method, both of which are described in the sticky in this forum. I put the fish to sleep with the clove oil mixed in water. Once the fish were asleep I placed them in the vodka. Both went peacefully and were laid to rest. I know euthanizing your pet / companion is difficult, but it is a necessary evil. I hope you can find someone to help with this process. For me it brought me closer to my fish and gave me a greater understanding of how others feel when they lose a pet.

I appreciate you saying all that, and I'm sorry for your losses.

We will have a vet do it tomorrow. It was the best choice for us.

I hope in time to heal and have fond memories of him, and to maybe have fish again in the future.

Thanks again-

Thank you everyone for all the help you've provided in the past few months. I learned so much on this board!

We did go with the vet option. I'm glad we did. Though its' one of the saddest things I've ever done.

Good luck to you all. They are certainly a most rewarding and surprising species...

I'm sorry for you loss. I'm glad you did what was right for your family. Good luck in the future.

Sorry you had to go through with it. If only everyone cared as much for their fish/pets.

Back
Top Bottom