Goldfish Attacks While Feeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anakalia777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First of all, I'm happy to say the 2 Goldfish my son and I won at the local Carnival are still alive and haven't been sick (fingers crossed). We got and 10 gallon (saving for 30), power filtered tank, live plants (don't remember the type), and one air pump pirate cave decoration.

Now, for the past month, The larger of the 2 will attack the other during feeding time. It will push the other down into the gravel or in between the plants. The other will try its best to get away to another side of the tank, but shortly after, be pursued for another attack.

What should I do? This only happens during feeding and five to ten minutes after.:eek:

That's common when over crowding is an issue. Even if they are small/young, they still want a certain amount of space and if one is smaller/weaker/sick, it'll get dominated (as it were) by the stronger one.

That's common when over crowding is an issue. Even if they are small/young, they still want a certain amount of space and if one is smaller/weaker/sick, it'll get dominated (as it were) by the stronger one.

+1 .... you'll need that 30 gal tank ASAP IMO.

Also, when you get the larger tank, be sure to get a filter sized for twice the tanks size. Goldfish can be a bit dirty, and the larger filter will help to keep the water in good condition for them.

Also, when you get the larger tank, be sure to get a filter sized for twice the tanks size. Goldfish can be a bit dirty, and the larger filter will help to keep the water in good condition for them.

+1

Goldfish are dirty and since their system doesn't process fully food, it passes thru them quicker. I nearly triple filter my goldie tank and for me anyway, it seems like a good balance to weekly 50% PWC and tank size.

One benefit is that if you have any kind of flowers/gardens/etc., the water from a PWC is loaded with nutrients/no2/etc that plants love :D.

I use my tank water in the garden too!

I've got two Aqua-Tech 30-60's running in my 55 gal goldie tank, but I can't remember what the gph is on those filters. I should have at least double filtration in that tank, right?

Back
Top Bottom