Goldfish colour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lynda orourke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

Ok it’s not really a dieses problem but more of a general health thing

I was given a goldfish that has completely lost its colour; I know loss of colour is down to diet. Is it possible to restore the fish’s colour by improving its diet and if so what’s the best thing to feed it.

I have offered a range of foods but this particular fish will not feed at the surface and so only gets food that sinks.

I have a goldfish that went from orange to white. The fish has remained that color for a long time, while all the other fish are the same colors they have always been. Fish sometimes change color over time, and not even diet will affect that. As long the as the fish is healthy, I wouldn't worry too much.

Yes I had thought the colour loss would be perminant but noticed a few red scales the other day so wondered if it was possible to get the colour back, but as long as its healthy it dosn't really matter

Goldies lose colour as they age. This is true esp. of black - it is unusual to find true black in an adult gold (it is often brown or gray).

The reds apparently is enhanced with red pigments in food (eg krill). So, if the gold is faded due to diet, adding some krill/shrimp might help. However, a fish that turns totally white is prob. genetically predisposed to do this with age. As long as it is healthy, I'd leave it alone.

Back
Top Bottom