goldfish experts! i need youre knowledge!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I posted a thread like a week ago about a new goldfish I got, my 1st in a long time.
She is an oranda, still a baby. She is in a 15 gallon, its not her permanent home, just probably for the next year or so. I was advised on here that 15 gallons would not affect her growth so long as I keep the water clean, which I am doing by using a new penguin 150 bio wheel and 50% pwc once or twice weekly.
I am wondering what other tips and tricks you guys have for me to keep her happy, healthy, and maximize her growth and beauty? I want her to grow to her full potential.

This is Shimmer btw :) my bf named her cuz she "looks like a girl fish". Typical man.

Edit: major fail in my title. YOUR*

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121002_182054.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121002_182054.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 59
Feed her a healthy, varied diet with lots of daily veggies and LOTS of water changes! No floating/freeze-dried foods. I think I sent you my goldie link but if I didnt, let me know! :)

Yes you did send it :)
And okay, I know that broccoli, peas, and lettuce are good, any others?
In terms of protein, could I give her the same mix I give my tropical fish? Frozen blood worms, spirulina brine shrimp, krill and daphnia? And how often?
All I've fed her since I got her is some omega one goldfish pellets (I always soak them for a bit first). Is this okay as a staple?
Any other good staple foods? I think Hikari has something for fancy goldfish, I may buy that.

Skip the lettuce- it has no nutritional value. Spinach/dark leafy green stuff is a healthier alternative (kale, collard greends, etc). Pretty much any cooked veggie is game as long as its not spicy or starchy (potatoes, corn are examples). Tough stuff (carrots, peppers, etc) need to be smooshed into bits (garlic press). Hikari Saki/Lionhead or NLS or a gelffood (Repashy, Murazi, homemade) are your best bets for staple food. And some fresh proteins. :)

Thanks so much, you're a huge help :) I would really like her to grow to her max size, about 8-10" right?

Yes, I would say this is the minimum for these guys although the world record holder oranda is over 15in and rumored to be over 17in now. Water changes, water changes, water changes along with a good diet. Keep your ammonia/nitrite zero and nitrates as low as possible (under 10ppm if possible). You can expect your nitrates to jump very quickly in this size tank (esp as she grows) so this is something you will need to be religious about staying on top of.

If you want to be exact about feeding her, get yourself a scale and weigh her once a month to determine the exact amount food (staple food, not veggies) to feed. Growing juveniles need quite a bit more food than just a 'pinch'. :)

Okay that's good to know! My tropical fish I only feed once every other day, the goldfish I try to feed at least once I day but I have read that some people feed them more than that

Back
Top Bottom