Goldfish Fin Rot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kimlafeiet

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think my Ryukins have a slight case of fin rot.........
This is the 2nd time Sputnik has had it in a month (or else I didn't get him completely cleared up last time). I put him in QT and treated with tetracyclene as directed, he cleared right up (or so it seemed) and was reintroduced to the main tank about 3 weeks ago.
Now he is showing ragged fins again, as well as my other Ryukin Ollie, and one of the WCMMs.
I am noticing he is quite a bit thinner than Ollie, although they are the same size, so I think he may have some internal parasites going on.

I plan to pick up some API General Cure tonight (it has Prazi and Metro in it) to treat for internal parasites, but will that clear up the fin rot as well? I am going to just treat the whole tank since I am seeing it on both goldies this time.

If the general cure is not the best route to go.......what are better options out there? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have several meds that say they treat fin rot, but I would prefer to use the Prazi. Can/should I combine the general cure with another med?

Can you please provide us with some more info so we can better help you? Tank size? Stocking? Parameters? Water change schedule?

For one fish to come down with fin rot may be an isolated case but for multiple fish in the same tank to be affected indicates something is amiss and we need to figure out what it is.

Sorry, guess I should have included all of that, huh.
Its a standard 3ft 50 gallon tank (36x18x18, or somthing like that)
Eheim 2215 canister, 50% pwc.
Tested weekly before water change, last test was Sunday.
Results: Ammo 0, Trites 0, Trates 10-20, Ph 8.0 (normal around here)
Stock: 2 juvenile ryukin goldies (apx 1.5-2 inch body)
2 gold dojo loaches (3.5 in each)
6 white cloud mountain minnows

I did have a BN pleco in there, but she was moved to my rainbow tank due to food agression 2 weeks ago. I have not noticed any other agression from anyone.

Sputnik is my newest goldie, he was qt'd for 2 weeks prior to introduction to the tank, no issues to note. within a couple days fo being in the tank, he started showing signs of ragged fins. I removed him, treated him, and then reintroduced him again (he was in for apx 1 week for the treatment). This was 3 weeks ago, and I though he was mending well, but now his fins look more raggedy again, as well as Ollie's fins are starting to get raggedy. One of the minnows shows a bit of ragged edge as well, but I don't know if he has always had it or not, they chase eachother around like normal minnows do. The loaches are fine, no issues to note.

I purchased the API general cure last night, as well as Parasite Guard from Tetra, which has Prazi and Metro as the ingredents as well. Not sure which one I should use, it seems like they are probably the same.
I plan to do my water change a day early (tomorrow) and then use the meds (probably the API one)...............

Thanks! Are your wcs decent sized ones? Your numbers seem fine so this doesn't appear to be an issue but increasing wcs when something is amiss is always a good idea. I would opt for the API GC. Dose, big wc at 48hrs, redose, big wc at 48hrs, redose, etc- follow this schedule for atleast 7 days and lets see how things go over the next few days. It's not what I would recommend for this situation though. If purchasing some Medigold (from the goldfish connection) is possible, I think this would be more helpful. Alternately, you can treat the tank with kanamycin but you will likely need to purchase this online as well.

Ok. So, Medigold would be a better choice?
I am doing 50% pwc once a week, and I rinse the filter goodies in tank water once a month.
Would it be better to split the water changes into twice a week? Say like 30-40% twice a week instead of just the 50% once a week?
I will order the Medigold today. It wont hurt the loaches and minnows will it?

What is in the API general Cure? I've never heard of Medigold. Oxytetracycline would have been a better choice at first. Kanamycin is pretty good but i've had mixed results since you are only suppose to use it for a maximum of 7 days i had a fish get better then put him back in main tank only to get it again and eventually die. I know that is no fun and i love fancy goldies and have lost my fair share of them to the same deal.

Ok. So, Medigold would be a better choice?
I am doing 50% pwc once a week, and I rinse the filter goodies in tank water once a month.
Would it be better to split the water changes into twice a week? Say like 30-40% twice a week instead of just the 50% once a week?
I will order the Medigold today. It wont hurt the loaches and minnows will it?

I honestly would stick to the big wcs. If you can only manage one a week, that's better than two 30%. If you can manage two 50%+ a week, that would be even better.

You mentioned the minnows having some fin rot, so they will be fine eating MG but I will be surprised if they eat any as it's decent sized pellets. It won't harm the loaches but they don't need med food if they are not sick. I would try to separate everyone at mealtime. Keep us posted!

Ok. I ordered the medigold, it should be here this week.
In the meantime, Ollies tail is worse, and looks almost like he has a little fungal growth on the tail now. I did a 70% pwc today with a thorough cleaning, and rinsed my filter media in old tank water.
I dosed the API General Cure this afternoon, as directed on the box (1 pk per 10 gallons). The box says to wait 48 hours, dose again, wait another 48 hours then do a pwc.
Should I follow that direction, or is there a better route to try? Can I still use the Metro meds when they arrive, even now that I am dosing with the general cure?

Jlk, thank you for all of your advice. You are awesome! I have no problems doing 2 50% pwcs per week instead of one.........i just figured once a week was enough, but I would rather do more water changes than have sick fish, lol. Thank god for the python :)

Follow the directions I listed in the earlier post for using the GC. Dose, 48hrs, wc & redose. You will need to use the GC for atleast 7 days to prevent bad bug drug resistance. If you have a decent lfs near you, you can pickup a little bottle of methylene blue and add a daily bath for the fish that have the worst fin rot. Chain stores wont carry it (ie, petsmart- not sure about petco) but its a really common old school med and most lfs should have it ($4-5 bottle). Please ask if you have questions!

Thanks! Will 50% water change be enough at each 48hr mark, or should I do bigger, like 75%?
Ollie's fin already looks a little better, whatever fungal looking growth I saw yesterday has gone away.
I have Meth Blue on hand already, but have never used it. What is the best way to do the bath, and how long do I put them in for? (also, can I put both goldies in there, or should I bathe them seperately?)

Yep, @50% should be fine. Check your parameters though to make sure all is well before doing one. If Ollie is already looking better, no need for a bath.

In case you do need to do one in future, dose 1tsp per 3-5g of conditioned water, add fish and wait 15-30mins before returning them to the tank. I actually do longer baths (up to an hr) when necessary. Just make sure you make a fresh bath each time you need one. :)

Back
Top Bottom