Goldfish fry scavengers also?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishPrince

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Okay so my ryukin layed eggs, and the frys are 3 days old now. I just fed them bbs this morning.. overfed*
There's alot of dead bbs on the bottom of the tank. Will the fry eat them eventually? I was hoping since goldfish are scavengers maybe the frys will obtain that instinct from birth and hopefully eat the dead bbs on the bottom of the tank �� anyone know?

Overfed foods will probably rot and decay faster than the fish would eat them thus polluting the water. Best would be to siphon the dead BBS out and if it is still fresh, you can freeze then use again otherwise, throw away. Keep track of how much food your fry eat so that you don't overfeed. Better to feed multiple small feedings than one or two larger ones when it comes to fish fry. (y)

Hello Gold...

You can leave the food, but you'd best do a large water change to remove the food that has already dissolved in the water. I'm a Goldfish keeper too and these fish require very large, frequent water changes. By just changing most of the water, you'll remove any pollutants from the food that has dissolved and all the new water will dilute whatever the fry don't eat. This way, there's little or no waste.

B

Back
Top Bottom