Goldfish fry won't eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

0Louis0

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've checked many topics about goldfish fry, they are mostly eating on third or fourth day
My goldfish fry are 4 days old, and they still won't eat!
They are about 20, in a large bucket (15 liters of water), they do look a bit older than before but they are still not swimming normally, some of them swim for a bit then lay on the bottom and most others are laying all the time unless I scare them with an object. When they swim they are swimming vertically (not horizontally like normal fish).

When I put some powdered fry food in the water they just do nothing, few of them (who were already swimming before I put the food) sometimes go near it but they don't seem to be eating anything, and none of them swim towards food when I put it..
Any help?

15l is only 3-4g. What are the parameters in this bucket? Do you have any cycled filtration such as a sponge filter? I suspect there's lethal levels of toxins and fry are very susceptible to ANY level of toxins.

I had 40 ppm Nitrates, 0.25 Ammonia and Nitrites. I know it's bad but could that be really the reason for not eating?
They all died now and I have fresh eggs (fish spawned again), Nitrates level is 10 ppm is that good enough?

I had 40 ppm Nitrates, 0.25 Ammonia and Nitrites. I know it's bad but could that be really the reason for not eating?
They all died now and I have fresh eggs (fish spawned again), Nitrates level is 10 ppm is that good enough?
40 was too much for fry, and for a lot of grown fish. 10 ppm is good, but i would go for 5 ppm in you're fry tank. Also, ammonia should be at 0, to maintain good conditions.

40 was too much for fry, and for a lot of grown fish. 10 ppm is good, but i would go for 5 ppm in you're fry tank. Also, ammonia should be at 0, to maintain good conditions.

+1
I have to agree here. Fry water has to be kept pristine because they are affected by any level of toxins. You also need to consider what you are going to do with the fry if they survive.

Back
Top Bottom