Goldfish growth rate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
We have a litte goldfish situation on our hands here- a little comet goldfish to be exact. The four year old won it at a carnival (can't believe it) and has become completely attached to Cute Cupcake. His big brother has a tank with guppies so he has decided he wants his fish tank to be for a goldfish.

Now, I am actually angling to get a 50g tank cause I fell in love with a black moor. I have tried to explain to the boy that we don't have a tank big enough for his fish - and he calmly explained that all we have to do is go to the store and buy one. And although I may in fact go on craigslist and get a big tank - it's not going to be big enough for a comet!

We do know someone with a pond - but Cute Cupcake is too small I imagine to make it there yet, and the Boy is attached... So, long story here...
If I get a 50g - how fast do goldfish grow? I imagine in a year or so he'll be able to grasp having to go live in a pond (the fish that is...) How long would a 50g be ok for little CC?

Hi! You can expect the comet to grow @1/2 inch (possibily more) a month with an adequate diet. Although keeping a moor with a comet is not ideal, you can probably manage for awhile (i am not sure about a yr though-maybe 6mths). The moor is slow & visually impaired in comparison to the comet- you may need to seperate them during meals to be sure the moor gets an adequate share of food. Avoid purchasing any other fish until the comet can graduate to a pond & make sure you have heavy filtration (min 10x tank size or atleast 500gph) and lots of aeration. Dont hesitate to ask questions! :)

Wow- fast growing little guys!! Jlk to the rescue again!

How big would you recommend CC being to transfer to the pond? I believe there are koi in there but they aren't completely huge yet.

He honestly would probably manage right now but he would have a better chance once he reaches @4inches.

Comets grow fastest in their first year of life. They also grow faster the larger tank they are in. I have a comet that was ¾" long five months ago. He is now 7" and I would estimate weighs just over 1#. Right now he/she's in a 55g.

gypsydancer said:
Comets grow fastest in their first year of life. They also grow faster the larger tank they are in. I have a comet that was ¾" long five months ago. He is now 7" and I would estimate weighs just over 1#. Right now he/she's in a 55g.

Wow! That is actually kind of exciting! Now off to practice my puppy-dog eyes on the husband. "just one more tank! Pweaase!"

Wow! That is actually kind of exciting! Now off to practice my puppy-dog eyes on the husband. "just one more tank! Pweaase!"

He/she's a character too. The tank is on a lowboy stand and he/she watches and follows the dogs as they wall past the tank. My make sheltie "plays" with her add well. One of these days I'll get a picture of the two of them. Just too cute for words.

Back
Top Bottom