Goldfish harassment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shana0310

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been keeping goldfish for about 4 years now. It seems whenever I buy them I only choose males. Except for this one female I've had for about 2 yrs. I feel so sorry for her. Every single morning the others chase her and run her into things. She loses scales, has nips and splits in her fins but by the afternoon, it's like nothing happened. They leave her alone. I understand it's a mating behavior, but it's kinda pitiful. I had hoped once she got bigger, perhaps it would slack off a bit. But it seems like she's been the same size forever. Perhaps she so traumatized it's effecting her growth.

Should I re-home her? Or am I being ridiculous?

I could put up another tank, but I finally downsized to 2 tanks (I had 4) and really don't want more than that.

I love to hear from those with similar experiences.

I don't find your empathy at all ridiculous. I applaud your compassion. Does she have a few hiding places where she might escape her pursuers? Would it be possible to add additional females to your tank? What if you keep her and rehome the males instead?

Back
Top Bottom