Goldfish has got me worried.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevebb0611

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all, would really love some advice and wishful thinking.
I've got one common goldfish, 4-5 inches. He was living in a 1-gallon tank for some time but obviously has out grown that. Last weekend I set up a 20-gallon tank, fresh gravel and some decor.
I put him in and almost right away and he got freaked, his fins went down and wouldn't eat so I placed him back into his old tank until the decor could be established. He quickly perked back up and enjoyed his 1-gallon space again.
A week passed and I put him back into the 20-gallon. He seems to like the new territory but just recently has decided to make friends with the bottom of the tank. He still eats when I feed him, which is a good sign. When he isn't camped out at the bottom he swims very frantically and erratic- so much so he pulled three scales off. I can see some black markings which were there before moving him into his new home. I assume ammonia burns since the small tank wasn't filtered. Also I can see clear string from his back end. I know he needed a larger living space but I feel like I might have done him in.

I'm worried about my fish.

The question everyone wants to know- what are your levels... well I don't know yet. Anything I can do without knowing levels? His 1-gallon I never know levels or anything like that. I don't see why 20-gallons would be any different; I haven't changed anything I do.

Thanks, Steve

Was the new tank cycled? Do you you water conditioner like prime? Large water changes are the only way to fix things w/o knowing your parameters. Also are you acclimating the fish to the new temp or are you just dropping him in?

I've been cycling the tank in about 5 gallon rotations this past week. I have been using conditioner yes. I didn't have a large bag so he got dropped in and loved it really. It wasn't until hours later he started acting funny. Both tanks were at room temp.

Update: he has finished with that clear poop and it really active again, even chasing some glow-in-the-dark eggs I dropped in.

So confused.

stevebb0611 said:
I've been cycling the tank in about 5 gallon rotations this past week. I have been using conditioner yes. I didn't have a large bag so he got dropped in and loved it really. It wasn't until hours later he started acting funny. Both tanks were at room temp.

I think the cycling may be your problem. Have you been adding an ammonia source or just changing water? Im not on my computer so i cant link it. But search this forum for the guide to fish in cycling.

Yep, theres your trouble. Read the links above and you should be on the right track.

I assume ammonia and nitrate poisoning is something that can be remedied and my precious goldie will survive. He's all energetic now!

joel618 said:
Yep, theres your trouble. Read the links above and you should be on the right track.

He is probably stunted from the 1 gallon life and use to a small space. Now he has room to swim and be active keep up on water changes everyday until you get a liquid test kit when you do post back here with your levels and I can help you some more

I assume ammonia and nitrate poisoning is something that can be remedied and my precious goldie will survive. He's all energetic now!
To be honest, it depends on the extent of the damage done. If he is energetic though, that is a good sign. Keep doing pwc and hope for the best.

so its been a few days and my goldfish is still swimming and eating.

the problems, still swims erratically and likes to camp at the bottom. fins are still standing tall and he eats when feed. I just want my goldfish to swim normal and peck at the gravel like he used to do.

I got a kit, but it only tells me that the water is currently above 7.6 ph. It has a balancing bottle for over and another bottle for under tanks. So I did that and will test again in the morning? I was going to hold off on any more pwc until I had some success with this ph deal.

thought?

Ph really don't matter much a stable ph is more important than any specific number I keep and breed fish in 8.5 ph with no issues and gold fish are very hardy oh won't affect them very much if at all. Give it some more time possibly add something from his old tank or more hiding spaces.

Hi! Ph is not an issue here. Please do not add chemicals to adjust it because you will only create more problems. The only two things to be concerned with at this point is ammonia & nitrite levels. You need to keep these levels under control with water changes while your tank cycles. Healthy water is the best thing you can offer him right now (and in the future).

so did I get the wrong test kit? He has plenty of hiding places- he just seems crazy now. he went from 1-gallon into 20-gallons he should be super happy!

stevebb0611 said:
so did I get the wrong test kit? He has plenty of hiding places- he just seems crazy now. he went from 1-gallon into 20-gallons he should be super happy!

He very well could be happy doing his crazy dance to bad we can't ask him lol but really clean water and you can't go wrong he will adjust

so is there anything other than pwc I should be doing or looking for?

Monitor his poop is a good thing do to it can show signs of infection or look at him closely for signs of injury other then that clean clean water and time he will come around I have had this happen before with a few goldfish(switching tanks) and it freaks them out but they came around after a week or two.

thanks. he is still skittish, the tank is in my room I can glance at him in the night and he moves around- more like just wade in the waters but as soon as I flip the lights on he swims to hide. He rapid swimming has led to a few missing scales- watching them closely. He still eats when feed. and I am still doing pwc's.

Still just very shy and he has never acted like this.

stevebb0611 said:
Doesn't a fish have to swim to survive?!

Not really
My fish sleep in one place all the time
I hope you know that those fish need a pond since they are commons from the photos I think

Back
Top Bottom