Goldfish help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CichlidLady0312

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello,

I have a 75 gallon tank w cichlids. But I know nothing about goldfish keeping.

I recently won a goldfish from a fair (poor fishes) I placed him in my 20 gallon along w a tetra filter, bubble maker. I fed him goldfish flakes. Hes finally up and swimming around. He was looking a bit down.
Do I need a heater? And if so what degrees. Also could I add a friend in there for him as well? What type of decor do they prefer? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dont know much about goldfish but I know there cold water fish so you don't need a heater. Good luck with your goldfish :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You will not need a heater as I imagine you have a common/comet goldfish, very hardy. I would switch your food to a sinking pellet as soon as possible though. Goldfish are prone to swim bladder issues already, and the ingestion of air from eating flakes on a regular basis can further complicate this. Cooked, shelled peas are a wonderful (and extremely simple) addition to their diet, and helps to prevent constipation.

Second is the tank. I would refrain from adding any tankmates in a 20g long, and your goldfish will out grow this tank as well. The closest thing I could compare them to as far as the bioload is concerned is that of Oscars.

Goldfish are messy, they poop a bunch and grow up to 12 inches.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Hi if you want to get him a friend you will have to get him a bigger tank 40gallons i would recommend. Go for other standard comet type goldfish. Dont be tempted to get a black moor or a fancy (fantail) goldfish as comets out complete them for food and can nip there tails. Any decor is fine, gravel. Plastic or natural plants. Maybe get him a hiding place so an ornament with cover.

My Daughter won a goldfish at our local Carnival. Did a ton of research (that night) and realized that little dude can get to be over 12" long and live for 20+ years!! SHOCKING!!! We went out and got a 10 gallon aquarium (as a starter just in case it did not last). Two weeks and doing Great! No other fish and I am guessing we will need a new tank in a couple months. The research we did says no tankmates even in 20+ gallons but if you do add any, the goldfish are Fast and competitive for food. They will also Nip the Fins of slower fish. Only possibility I have read of other than another Goldie is a small school of Zebra Danio, which are small and fast swimmers that are ok without a heater. Plus schooling is a protection too. Goldfish do not have a stomach and produce a Ton of waste. I think that is the major reason for the restriction. High levels of Amonia from a lot of waste, plus they can reach max growth in a year or so.

Back
Top Bottom