Goldfish lost some scales and acrylic tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lexiesboots

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all!

So about two weeks ago I was doing my regular water change and cleaning on my goldfish tank and one of my Goldie's swam against the algae scrubber and scraped some scales off. I've been keeping the water clean and keeping an eye on her. No blood or red spots ever appeared just looks normal just a bare spot where the scales used to be (she's white so it's just a dull white patch nothing fuzzy) I was just wondering if her scales will ever grow back? And if so how long will it take? I used some medicine (can't remember if it was melafix but pretty sure it was) by API for open sores, fin rot, and bacterial infections for a week and stopped.

They just got moved into a 29 gallon acrylic tank which is an improvement from the temporary 15 gallon glass tank which brings me to my next question. I know acrylic bows a bit but was just wondering if some crazing near the bowing is normal and to be expected also? It's only a little bit and probably only noticeable to me because I am so paranoid when it comes to my tanks. This is my first acrylic tank and I got it solely because they are supposed to be stronger and less likely to leak, crack, burst, etc. it's a regular 29 gallon fr seaclear and has been set up and running since Friday.

Sorry it's such a long post any feedback is most appreciated!

You said you just set it up Friday and the fish are all ready in? No cycling

But yes her scales should grow back naturally

You said you just set it up Friday and the fish are all ready in? No cycling

But yes her scales should grow back naturally

Nope I just used all the water from the 15 gallon with 15 gallons of new water plus I moved the whole filter units over. So it was pretty much like doing my regular 50% water change. I would have cycled it but I didn't have another stand or anywhere to put the fish. I also added some cycle to the tank. I know it's iffy if the stuff actually works or not but I didn't have very many options. None of the fish have showed any signs of stress. They just seem happy to be out of the tiny tank.

Do you know about how long it should take? No rush but I just have been keeping a super close eye on her.

Also any feedback on the crazing?

Back
Top Bottom