Goldfish poop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc96928

Aquarium Advice Activist
My gold fish poop keeps floating to the top. Is their something wrong with them?

What type of goldfish? Parameters? Are they still in the small tank? What are you feeding them? Do you see them yawning or piping air from the surface?

2 comet and 2 fantail goldfish.

Nitrate- 0
Nitrate- 0
GH- 25
Chlorine- 0
KH-40
Ph- 6.8

They go to the top sometimes, but not often. I added a air-stone. To make sure there was good aeration until i can move them to the 75gallon.

How long has the tank been set up? Looks like it's not cycled. I don't think that has to do with floating poop though.

Tank has now been set up for about 2-3 weeks

Tetra goldfish flakes and aqueon tropical fish flakes, because i have 4 phantom tetras in the same tank.

Tetra goldfish flakes and aqueon tropical fish flakes, because i have 4 phantom tetras in the same tank.

Hmm. You could try pre soaking the flakes. Are they otherwise healthy?
Also, what is your ammonia reading?
Do you have the temp set for the goldfish or the tetras?

Yes, all of them even the tetra's went from the 10 to the 20.

With the tank only being setup for 2 weeks, not knowing the ammonia level and the tank being heavily overstocked, my guess is the ammonia is likely quite high unless your doing daily big wcs.

A combination of ammonia with food inappropriate for goldfish are the likely factors behind the floating waste. Flakes encourage gulping as does ammonia being present in the water. Both contribute to digestive, health and buoyancy issues that are easily preventable. Floating waste is not normal for goldfish. Switch them to a proper sinking pellet along with daily veggies and start doing daily wcs. You should see an improvement when these issues are addressed.

With the tank only being setup for 2 weeks, not knowing the ammonia level and the tank being heavily overstocked, my guess is the ammonia is likely quite high unless your doing daily big wcs.

A combination of ammonia with food inappropriate for goldfish are the likely factors behind the floating waste. Flakes encourage gulping as does ammonia being present in the water. Both contribute to digestive, health and buoyancy issues that are easily preventable. Floating waste is not normal for goldfish. Switch them to a proper sinking pellet along with daily veggies and start doing daily wcs. You should see an improvement when these issues are addressed.
^^^^+1

If I recall correctly, you have several other threads in which a few of us have given you this advice.

In other threads i was told to move them to a bigger tank. Right now i don't have the means to do that. And i had previously never knew goldfish shouldn't be fed flakes. That is a first. But thank you

What kind of veggies can i feed my goldfish?

I believe I have posted the guide below for you before but please feel free to read it again and ask any questions you may have. Theres a section devoted to diet that covers various foods as well as fruits and veggie suggestions.

Have you considered rehoming the singletail goldfish to a happy pond? They have large water requirements as they can grow 12-18in and live 20-40yrs with appropriate conditions.

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/goldfish-101-11174823.html

Unfortunately living in NYC, we don't have a pond that they can be placed into.

I started feeding them some pea's and carrots and little spinach, and now i see that they have long stringy clear poop that sinks. Help! What could possibly be wrong.

Hope you don't mind my jumping in, but goldfish shouldn't be fed flakes? I've never actually seen non-flake form goldfish food

Honestly, there's likely nothing wrong. Continue to feed them veggies- lots of them. You should start to see big firm strands of green waste (or orange from carrots,etc).

Im so glad, i plan on giving veggies all throughout the day. Thank you so much. I hope they get used to it. They seem a bit confused from the new diet.

Back
Top Bottom