goldfish question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blueyedcntrygrl68

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
my goldfish tank is 100g with 5 goldfish and one common pleco.. My biggest goldfish is huge..abt 4 yrs old.. I am wanting to put other fish in the tank..but the research says only white clouds can live with them.. He eats them like candy..and guppies.. wanting to put gouramis in. will that work?

You can't really put anything in with goldfish, and besides your tank seems kind of stocked to capacity. White clouds can live with them but they;ll get eaten. Guppies and gouramis are tropical and will not survive in goldfish temperature requirements.

What would be a minimum tank size for him? He is abt the size of a coffee cup.. The other goldfish are smaller and dont bother the white cloud.. .. I would love to put a school of them in my big tank.. I could get him his own tank..

If you want to keep them both together, I would suggest a pond. Goldfish need about twenty gallons and ten gallons for every extra fish so to keep white clouds with them raise adult white clouds with young goldfish.

You could probly put some shrimp or some cory cats in there. Just keep the temp at the high end of the goldfish temperature range and they'll be fine

bruinsbro1997 said:
I think the shrimp would be eaten by the goldfish and the pleco...

Oh yah they would. I didn't think about that. I just suggested Cory's bc I saw someone else that has had a goldfish and corys for a while.

i have zebra danios in with mine their semi tropical and like temps from 18 - 24 degrees celsius my tank is around 21/22 degrees

I have a few ghost shrimp in with my guppies.. but yea I think they would be eaten... although 3 of them are rather big.. might try them.. thanks guys.. btw.. how big do ghost shrimp get? I just purchased these 3. they are abt 3 to 4 in..... btw... thanks for the help

What kind of goldfish are we talking about? That makes a huge difference.

Get rid of the common pleco.

I have 2 Oranda, 2 blackmoor and the beast is a Ryukin.. I have heard everyone say the pleco and goldfish shouldn`t be kept together... what would be good tankmates if I put him in different aquarium? Dont think my kids or grandkids would like me get rid of him.. he is their favorite.. Named Waldo..

Common plecos are a bad option, but bristlenose are perfect.

Which one is him?

I have kept the following with fancy goldfish (in large enough tanks and with enough water changes): platies, guppies, danios (zebra, white cloud, etc.), bristlenose plecos, and others.

Yes, get the common out and the others will be much happier and you would have some other options.

Back
Top Bottom