Goldfish Questions...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cnicole516

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I currently have a 29g tank with only one black moor. I have a couple questions about stocking, temperature, and possible tank mates.

First, I have heard many variations on how much space a fancy goldfish needs, anything from ten gallons a fish to 55. What is your opinion? The reason I ask this because I more commonly hear that the first fish needs 20 gallons and 10 after that... I am hoping to add one more friend to the tank because my moor seems so lonely in there!

Second, what's a good temperature for them? I know they are coldwater fish but my tank guide says that goldfish do better with a heater. My tank will sit at 67 or 68 without a heater and 76 with one, my fish seems to be more active with the heater, but I wanted to hear your opinions .

The last thing I'm wondering is if there are any good tank mates for a goldfish. I know they are supposed to be housed alone but I really would like him to have a friend and if another goldfish is not possible would there be anything else that does well with them?

Hi :)
Fancies need 30 gallons to start with as juveniles and 10 to 20 gallons for each additional fish. Your 29 gallon is perfect for a young fancy, by himself. Another goldfish would overstock your tank. Adult fancies need 55 gallons each.
The heater in the tank is to keep the water temperature constant. Lower temperatures are better for goldies. 70 to 74 is considered ideal an ideal range of temperature for goldfish.

Some people have luck housing white cloud minnows with goldfish. The only caveat here is that they would have to be fairly large because some goldies will eat anything that fits in their mouths. Snails are another option for your tank, or some shrimp, but both would have to be large enough that the goldies couldn't eat them.

Thank you for your help,
I just have one more quick question...
So I bought a aquarium set and it came with 10-30i whisper which I just looked up and saw that it only runs 145gph...

I feel like this is too little for the tank?
So I am looking into buying one that runs 350 per hour, would this be too much?
Also any tips on how to switch filters safely?

There's no such thing as too much filtration in a goldie tank. The bigger the better. :) Typically, the rule of thumb is 10 times tank volume, so a 29 gallon would need a minimum of 290 gallons per hour. 350 GPH is great. :)
As for switching filters--there are a few different ways you can safely do this. If you have enough space, you can run both on your tank for a few weeks until the beneficial bacteria has seeded the new filter. Or, you can take your old filter media and put it in the water well of the new filter, along with the new filter media. Or, you can put the old filter media in a clean nylon stocking and hang it in your tank.

Not sure how these calculations come about.... how can one fish need 30 gallons but any additional ones only need 10? And how is it decided that an adult fancy needs 55 gallons?

It is all about maintaining water quality not necessarily space. You could easily keep 2 or more in a 55 gallon tank as I am sure hundreds of successful fishkeepers would agree. Of course fish need space, but who is to say how much space is enough?

I wonder this myself, i have no experience so my opinion should not be considered valid, but i feel like 4-5 should be able to fit in a 55 gallon. I think two goldfish in my 125 seems terribly small. Even though they produce high levels of waste can that not be compensated for in water changes and feeding habits?
Questions questions..

It's not just the waste. It's the size they grow to. My comets have grown 2 full inches in under six weeks. If they're kept in tanks that are too small, they become stunted, meaning their outsides stop growing, but their insides don't, leading to a sad, slow, painful death.

It's not just the waste. It's the size they grow to. My comets have grown 2 full inches in under six weeks. If they're kept in tanks that are too small, they become stunted, meaning their outsides stop growing, but their insides don't, leading to a sad, slow, painful death.

Wow - that is speedy growth!!

I thought my Mr Stripes and Jasper were fast growers!

I am rather worried about tank size. I can't possibly accommodate 55 gallons per fish in my small house, but I want to provide a tank that is big enough that the fishies have their own space, and enough to explore. I can't bear the idea of them being in a pond due to our blistering summers, and the fact I have kookaburras in my garden, who I am sure would easily catch fish :-(

What to do?

Fancies grow to 8+ inches, KidFish. :) Here's a visual:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

You can only do the best you can, Roz. And you're doing a GREAT job. Whatever tank size you're able to provide for your fish, it will be far better than anything any pet store (or most people) could offer. You'll feed them a wonderful diet and keep their water clean and they'll be very happy. :) I'm coming to terms with the fact that 160 gallons may be as big a tank as I can ever manage with my 2 comets. Not quite the suggested 200 (100 per fish), but it's better than the 1 cup Tupperware container they arrived at my house in when I inherited them. *shudder*

Edit: I should add, my comets' growth has slowed since that last crazy spurt a few months back. I'm guessing they'll have another big growth period at some point, but for now they're holding steady at 5 inches. I hope they can stay at 5 until the end of March, when I can begin cycling my new 80 gallon--the next stepping stone to a 160. :)

I would have to refute this. Where is the scientific proof of this? There are many cases of goldfish living well over ten years in a bowl and their insides didn't outgrow their outer bits! I always have to laugh at this.piece of aquatics mythology.

The facts are, if you have correct temperature, dissolved oxygen, waste treatment and quality diet, your fish will grow. They will be stunted in size if you don't feed enough, but their insides will be in proportion.

Wow - that is speedy growth!!

I thought my Mr Stripes and Jasper were fast growers!

I am rather worried about tank size. I can't possibly accommodate 55 gallons per fish in my small house, but I want to provide a tank that is big enough that the fishies have their own space, and enough to explore. I can't bear the idea of them being in a pond due to our blistering summers, and the fact I have kookaburras in my garden, who I am sure would easily catch fish :-(

What to do?

Hi Roz. That is fairly normal growth for goldfish in the right conditions. Only human assumption on a fish's 'need' for space leads to these random volumes per fish. If your fish are in perfect health, they will grow. It is then human ethics that determine the size of tank until space allowed is deemed to be cruel. We are quite happy to keep budgies ina small cage are we not?

I wonder this myself, i have no experience so my opinion should not be considered valid, but i feel like 4-5 should be able to fit in a 55 gallon. I think two goldfish in my 125 seems terribly small. Even though they produce high levels of waste can that not be compensated for in water changes and feeding habits?
Questions questions..

Fully agree and yes water quality management is what it is all about. I could quote many examples of goldfish and other carp species growing to large sizes in water volumes that would.make your toes curl, lol, but I get accused by certain posters of mentioning my experience too much. It seems professional fishkeeping isn't relevant to the hobby! Please pm me if you would like some actual facts :)

It seems we all may have to agree to disagree :) all that matters is that we have the best life for our fish in mind...

Hi Roz. That is fairly normal growth for goldfish in the right conditions. Only human assumption on a fish's 'need' for space leads to these random volumes per fish. If your fish are in perfect health, they will grow. It is then human ethics that determine the size of tank until space allowed is deemed to be cruel. We are quite happy to keep budgies ina small cage are we not?

Thanks, Pip.

I hope what I do provide in a home for my little guys is spacious and interesting enough for them. Certainly they seem to be content at the moment, but I'll have to upgrade soon!

I could never bear to see caged budgies, especially because I know how smart and social they are. Our budgie used to have the run of the house - Shame I can't offer that to my fishies!

:)

It seems we all may have to agree to disagree :) all that matters is that we have the best life for our fish in mind...

Great point!

As a goldfish newbie, I do find it quite confusing that there is such different advice given in books, online and in lfs. At the end of the day, I try things out and then stick with whatever makes my fishies the happiest :)

Fancies grow to 8+ inches, KidFish. :) Here's a visual:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

You can only do the best you can, Roz. And you're doing a GREAT job. Whatever tank size you're able to provide for your fish, it will be far better than anything any pet store (or most people) could offer. You'll feed them a wonderful diet and keep their water clean and they'll be very happy. :) I'm coming to terms with the fact that 160 gallons may be as big a tank as I can ever manage with my 2 comets. Not quite the suggested 200 (100 per fish), but it's better than the 1 cup Tupperware container they arrived at my house in when I inherited them. *shudder*

Edit: I should add, my comets' growth has slowed since that last crazy spurt a few months back. I'm guessing they'll have another big growth period at some point, but for now they're holding steady at 5 inches. I hope they can stay at 5 until the end of March, when I can begin cycling my new 80 gallon--the next stepping stone to a 160. :)

Thanks for the vote of confidence :). Looking after my little guys is much harder than I had anticipated, but I'll get there.

Back
Top Bottom