Goldfish Rescue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It should not be an issue but if in any doubt you can fill your bucket with water add a little bleach and soak the equipment for a 10 min then dump the water and rinse a few times before refilling and adding prime at 2x strength (or whatever brand you use) for 10 min then do water change like normal

My moor, affectionately nicknamed, derpy, is actively hunting for food along with the other two tonight. It still swims a little erratically, but I think it's for sure on the road to recovery!

This is the fourth day they've been in my care and their water is staying clean and clear, Ammo-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates 5ppm, and they are all three acting more normally each day. I'm going to call this a success.

My huney has even fallen in love with them, he has been mostly uninterested in my other two tanks, and wants to add a fourth of his choosing lol

My moor, affectionately nicknamed, derpy, is actively hunting for food along with the other two tonight. It still swims a little erratically, but I think it's for sure on the road to recovery!

This is the fourth day they've been in my care and their water is staying clean and clear, Ammo-0, Nitrites-0, Nitrates 5ppm, and they are all three acting more normally each day. I'm going to call this a success.

My huney has even fallen in love with them, he has been mostly uninterested in my other two tanks, and wants to add a fourth of his choosing lol

Goldfish can wriggle right into your heart. I think goldfish and bettas are like puppies with fins.

Goldfish can wriggle right into your heart. I think goldfish and bettas are like puppies with fins.

I'll second that. My betta, Walter, is the most personable fish I have and the goldies are quickly catching up! :D

We left for the long weekend and were worried the whole time we were gone, but when we got back today they are all three very hungry, but still happy and doing well. I was also very happy to see my moor looking so much better, all the white is almost gone!

Thank you for asking about them!

New pictures and a new addition!

Lord Derpington (even tho I'm sure it's a she) is doing so much better
eYFGNHKl.jpg

as compared to two weeks ago
ubRA1XVl.jpg

The other two, Gus and Fred, won't sit still long enough to get a good picture of them :D
bHgGSUVl.jpg

And this is our new guy. He's roughly 2 inches and has been dubbed Spotted Dick. My husband is weird. I guess spotted dick is an English pudding, but still...
Anyway, here he is in his quarantine tank.
FM86wYKl.jpg

They are looking so much better! And I love the names. And hey, the moor could always be Lady Derpington.

Spotted dick is adorable! That is a ranchu they are squirmy little guys

Phenomenal work. Sorry to hear about the moor passing. Will you be getting another? I have a similar set up. 40g with a black moor, a fantail, & a red cap. Looking at your photos of the whole tank was almost like looking at mine. Wishing you and your rescues well. :)

Edit: just to clarify, your cleaned up tank not the filth they were in originally reminds me of mine! Lol!

Phenomenal work. Sorry to hear about the moor passing. Will you be getting another? I have a similar set up. 40g with a black moor, a fantail, & a red cap. Looking at your photos of the whole tank was almost like looking at mine. Wishing you and your rescues well. :)

Edit: just to clarify, your cleaned up tank not the filth they were in originally reminds me of mine! Lol!

Thank you. I do want another moor, but right now I'm having a hard time keeping my nitrates down with just three in there, so I'm hesitant to add anything else at the moment. I want to get some more live plants in there, right now I only have a java fern, to help with the nitrates. If that works, then I'll probably get another moor, but my husband really wants an oranda so I'll have to weigh my options when it comes to getting another one.

Totally stressing right now. My power has been out since about 7:30 last night. The power company doesn't know why and they keep pushing back the estimated time it will be back on! The whole neighborhood is out.

I've been told I only need to start worrying if it's out for more than 24 hours, but it's still worrying me. Everyone was still okay this morning, so so far so good.

:facepalm::ermm::(

Do you have a battery operated air pump? They sell them at Petco. Maybe Walmart? I had a power outage at work that was about 3 days but I got an air pump and that made a big difference. I only lost 1 shrimp. That was before I got the air pump in. This was a 10g tropical though. Water changes would probably be good too but I'll let someone else comment on that! Good luck, I know it's stressful!

The power is finally back on! Everyone is okay and I'm doing water tests right now.
Everyone keeps saying I need battery air pumps, but wouldn't battery operated filters be more important?

Glad to hear all is back in order! I would say a battery operated filter would be great. I haven't seen one before myself though so that's why I say air pump and water changes. I'm far from an expert though. Really far. :)

Ack! Now Fred (the gold one) is showing the initial signs of fin rot! and Dicky's fins are going dark again. I've been having trouble with my nitrates, but I have been doing my best to keep it below 20! They got up to 40 when I had a family crisis and had to go out of town for a few days, but that's the highest I've seen it. I'll post pics when I get home.

It's a 55 gallon and I have 600 gallons per hour filtration, and I've been doing 50% water changes. I was doing them every other day when I had ich, but once that was gone I have been doing it once a week. Should I be doing it twice a week or more? I only have the three fancies in there.

Could this be a result of the power outage? By the time I tested the water, things were looking okay.

In the 18 months or so that my other tanks have been running, I have never had to deal with disease, the worst trouble I had with those was algae. This tank is already a problem child and I've only had it a few months!

Poor you! And poor Fred! You're not having much luck these days. My nitrates are sometimes higher than yours but the fish are fine. I'm thinking your rescues are particularly sensitive due to their previous environment. Not much can be done about that other than keeping that water pristine. Lots of work. X

Back
Top Bottom