Goldfish swimming erratically

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trioracles

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new goldfish is swimming really fast and then after a while it just goes on top. What could be the problem? Is this normal? I recently added him to my tank. Before that it was in a quarantine bucket for 2 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Was the tank cycled? what water test parameters do you have for water chemistry? How long did you acclimate the fish to the tank before releasing?

Kevin

Was the tank cycled? what water test parameters do you have for water chemistry? How long did you acclimate the fish to the tank before releasing?

Kevin

oh he's fine now i think. He was a bit scared when i added him to the tank. He's fine now and swims normally. Although he's still scared when i come close to him lol

He may not be fine now.as the other member I would ask the same questions as the other member.
Then we can help

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank
50 gallon yellow belly slider tank
29 gallon puffer tank
20 gallon community tank

Do you have any other fish in the tank also?

He's fine now. He's swimming normal. Yes I have other fish in the tank. Now when I pass by he swims towards me .

Goldfish ftw!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433648383.529924.jpgthis was him when I first got him. You can see his breeding tubercles. I think that's why he was acting so strangely at the time plus he was scared. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433648516.324421.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1433648607.088517.jpg this is him now with my other goldfish

Goldfish ftw!!!

Hi there,

May I suggest he might be scared because he has no where to hide and feel safe.

Fish love to have refuges and clumps of plants etc to hide under, behind or in when they are startled, stressed or sleeping. My goldfish are like this, and I have observed fish in the wild with the same behaviour.

It might be quite stressful for your fish not to have natural features including a substrate and plants.

Back
Top Bottom