Goldfish tank mate vs only one fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

verochloeedgar

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I have a 20 gal tank and I am not sure if I should get 1 or 2 fancies. I worry that the tank would be quite stocked if I put 2, but I also worry that one fish only would feel lonely and bored. I was planning on one oranda + a moor.
I have a fluval 106 canister filter and planing to do water changes weekly.
Thank you for the comments!!!

Imo you would be overstocked on one, can't imagine two. I run a betta and sometimes a snail in a 6gal for reference.

This are fancy goldfish, which ideally should not live in ponds as they are too delicate (at least here in U.K. Where it can be quite cold. I have read about stocking and although controversial everyone seems to recommend 20 gallons for the first fish (fancy varieties, not common goldfish) so I am a bit confused as the tank been overcrowded with one fish. However I understand 20 gallons is not a lot, and although I have been recommended to put 2 for company I wonder if the thank is too small for that. I think I will start with one then until I can upgrade to a bigger tank. Would my fish be lonely? Thank you

Of course it'll be "lonely", it won't display any "normal" behavior it's a matter of preference really. What's your motivation for the tank?

Of course it'll be "lonely", it won't display any "normal" behavior it's a matter of preference really. What's your motivation for the tank?

I have been fałling in love with orandas an veiltails for the last few months and I want them as pets. I have been reading a lot beforehand and joined a local aquarist society. I live in a rented house so all I could afford space-wise was a 20 gallons= 75 litres tank to start with. I though initially it may be OK for 2 young fancies for the first year at least if I put a good external filter. I am planning to feed twice a day varied food... gel food, fresh.. and interact with them for a while twice a day... hand feed, gel in rocks so they can explore... I though about putting natural plants as I asume they would like it more... I may be able to upgrade to a larger tank in one year but I didn't want to wait that long to have them. I was planning to start the fish less cycling this week.

I know some say 20g for the first fish. I recommend 40g for room to grow.

Check out SolidGold Aquatics on YouTube. She raises Fancies and has some great vids.

The issue with 2 Fancies in a 20g is that they do a majority of their growing in that first year. In small tanks they cannot grow properly and become stunted. Which as you've read, it shortens their lifespan.

It's your tank and your choice. I used to try to keep GF in smaller tanks. It just didn't work out well for the fish.

Fancies are sensitive. Much more than Commons.

You might start with a 20g and look for a used 55g ?
Joining a club is great. If you let people know they may be able to help you get a larger tank sooner or let you get babies and then rehome them.

My clubmembers gave me my 55g set up. I bought a heater, fish and ferts.

IMG_4329.jpg

Thank you for the advice. I have seen all the solid gold videos, I love Jennie and her fish. I got more in love with the fancies when I found her on YouTube. I will try with one or two young fish and I will look for another tank as soon as I can. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom