goldfish troubles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah1987

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
After having water problems in the aquarium and getting good advice from you guys ive been doing PWT's for a few weeks now, giving the gravel a good vaccum each time and all my goldfish seem alot better and look and seem really healthy all except 1 :(.. i've checked the water quality which reads as safe levels, ammonia=0, chlorine=0, nitrate=25, nitrite= under 1, GH= about 12, KH= 6', pH=7.6....
It's the smallest goldfish who is now unwell, it lies at the bottom of the aquarium, sometimes on its side and only swims on occasions, it seems to be breathing heavily and 1 of its eyes looks a little cloudy and bulgy.
i've read that the water quality is usually the cause for problems and it affects the weaker fish but this cannot be the case as the water levels all read as being safe.
Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong with it? Is really worrying me

Apart from identifying some new symptoms, it may just be residual from the earlier bad water quality. A weak fish, put into a not-so-safe environment, it may have just taken a toll on it and it might take a bit for it to recover. Keeping up with your water params is probably the best treatment.

you said your nitrIte is less than 1. The closer to 0 you can keep it the better your sick fish's chances will be.

Thanx for the advice. Gona keep a close eye on the little 1 and continue doing the tests and pwc's, maintaining the water quality.. fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom