Gondwana [2.5 gal]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rastaman

Aquarium Advice Activist
My new nano! This time with wood... Specification:

Dimensions: 11x8x8" or 27x20x20cm - Optiwhite
Lighting: Azoo Flexi mini 9W
Filtration: Eden 501 (sponge, ceramic rings, Purigen)
CO2: Pressurised 1bps thru glass/ceramic diffuser
Heating: aHeater mini 8W
Substrate: Aquasoil Amazonia, quartz sand
Hardscape: Redmoor wood, lava rocks
Fertilization: PPS pro, Easy carbo
Water parameters: Temp. 23'C, pH 6.5, KH 3, GH 5
Plants: Cryptocoryne tokinensis
Cryptocoryne parva 'Mini'
Bucephalandra sp. 'Kedagang Mini'
Bolbitis sp. 'Mini Guinea 2002'
Microsorum sp. Thai'
Anubias nana 'Mini'
Eleocharis acicularis
Taxiphyllum sp. "Flame moss"
Fissidens fox
Fissidens sp. 'Dwarf'

Fish/shrimps: Boraras micros x 14 (for 3 weeks coming 20 more and 10 Yellow fire shrimps)

image.jpg

Wood is anchored to the SS mesh with SS screws:

image.jpg

Lava rocks acts as a barrier for Aquasoil:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Some plants are glued to the wood with super glue, and Fissidens fox by yoghurt method (this time i have flooded it a few hours after spreading the moss). Seems it works as nothing floated out from the wood and rocks. :)

image.jpg

Bucephalandra sp. 'Kedagang mini'

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
How many hours does it take to set every single plant perfectly and how did you get the small twigs to not float.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dont know why i can't edit first post - on the plant list there is also: Fissidens fox and
Fissidens sp. 'Dwarf'

I dont know why i can't edit first post - on the plant list there is also: Fissidens fox and
Fissidens sp. 'Dwarf'

There is a limited window upon which you can go back and edit a post.
The two plants have been added to the list.
I really enjoy viewing your builds and tanks!

For the yogurt method with the fissidens, can you do this submerged or can you do it while doing the DSM.

I'm sorry rastaman, I meant do I need to flood the tank an hour or two after attaching the fissidens with yogurt. Or can they survive while doing the DSM for my dwarf baby tears?

Thanks guys! :)

I'm sorry rastaman, I meant do I need to flood the tank an hour or two after attaching the fissidens with yogurt. Or can they survive while doing the DSM for my dwarf baby tears?

It can survive, you can do DSM. I had Fissidens fontanus on one branch out from the tank for almost a year, completely dry on my balcony. And when i used it for my new scape Fissidens recovered and started to grow. Realy unbelivable how resistant is that moss! :eek:

I had a similar experience with some Fissidens fontanus that had taken root on some DW. I removed the DW from the tank, threw it into a cabinet and forgot about it. A month or so later, I put the DW back in the tank and the remnants of the moss grew back.
On the flip side, I tried a modified moss and yogurt method and ended up with a smelly tank and white fur covered DW. I may have minced the DW too much (turned brown), had either too much or too little moisture in the DSM... I don't know.
My next attempt with moss involved super glue and had a much better outcome.
Rasta, simply another great work of art here! Thank you for sharing.

Your talent for depth and detail is amazing. I'm going to try the fissidens Fontanus:)

Time for an update... Decide to go with Taiwan bee shrimps 'Pinto' and 'King Kong'. Had some hair algae but after adding Red Root floaters algae completely gone.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

This pic taken before 10 days:

image.jpg

Back
Top Bottom