Gonna stop using excel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know they aren't adding the Citric acid to the tank, it's the Gas from the Citric acid and baking soda reaction that's fed into the tank not the liquid itself.

From what I was told by a very reputable aqua scaper (one of the best out there) , that a kh value of 6 is on the high side when it comes to co2 injection, that most tanks running co2 are at about 2-3 I'm totally new to plants so I'm not to sure about this, I'm super low tech almost no tech tbh, but if you go on nilcog their carbon supplement actually has Citric acid in it, it's glut + Citric acid, it said Gluaraldehyde instead of Gluaraldehyde, I talked to the guys wife that does the website and they changed the typo today.

They are coming out with a new liquid fert that has a carbon source in it that's not glut but the gentleman testing it said they couldn't tell what it is until their beta testing is over.

This is the exact wording that was told to me when I was asking about my tanks tds being 161 and my THR could be a contributor.

"6 is fine; if you are not introducing acids
(such as C02 injection), the buffering
effect of limestone is mild. Ferts etc all
add to TDS though, but if you're doing
water changes, that will bring it down"
Take a look at Tom Barr's comments here:
https://barrreport.com/threads/high-kh-and-co2-absorption.5688/

Not to de rail this but my reference to the citric acid I showed the picture of was directly dosed daily to reef tank as a form of 'carbon dosing' .
Many say carbon dosing can be used in fresh water but is not practical.
Possibly if used in a different % it could change its function and be a benefit to the planted tank also ? Most don't carbon dose fresh because they can't remove the bacteria [slime] it generates without a protein skimmer .Possibly in lower doses the plants use it ? My reference was not towards any of the "DIY' CO2 systems .
I would recommend anyone over 20g to get a regulator and tank for that. But many say the citric acid co2 is longest lasting???

Not to de rail this but my reference to the citric acid I showed the picture of was directly dosed daily to reef tank as a form of 'carbon dosing' .
Many say carbon dosing can be used in fresh water but is not practical.
Possibly if used in a different % it could change its function and be a benefit to the planted tank also ? Most don't carbon dose fresh because they can't remove the bacteria [slime] it generates without a protein skimmer .Possibly in lower doses the plants use it ? My reference was not towards any of the "DIY' CO2 systems .
I would recommend anyone over 20g to get a regulator and tank for that. But many say the citric acid co2 is longest lasting???
I know next to nothing about reefkeeping; I had to look up carbon dosing.

I'm not sure about this, I'm no chemistry expert.. Some aquatic plant species can make use of bicarbonate ions as a carbon source, but I don't think plants are able to utilize the carbon that is bound within dissolved organic compounds. (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I do know that the whole point of injecting co2 is because other sources of carbon require plants to expend more energy, which slows down growth. Even in low tech with no co2 injection, plants will use the available co2 first until the concentration becomes depleted, at which point you would still be better off replenishing dissolved co2 via surface exchange rather than relying on other sources of carbon that are less efficient by far.

Trying to think back - from memory there was a thought that as glut degenerated, one of the carbon composite byproducts could be used but it seems more lately it would be the CO2 final breakdown product (I think).

Haven’t read much on it for some time since got CO2 going. Impressed in that thread they got plants going with Africans (even if shell-dwellers).

I stopped using Excel a while back. I still have it in reserve in case I ever get BBA on driftwood and I need to do a quick spot treatment. The scientific article was quite insightful.

Ok my story with Excel. According to my experience whoever use pressurized co2 will never advise to use excel. Its because they are co2 users and want others to use it too. Excel is not as bad as people claim. Some plants are more co2 demanding so in that case using pressurized co2 is a good idea but I have seen very lush green tanks running on excel. My tank was said to never thrive if I use excel but it is thriving great. But I don't have high co2 demanding plants. You need to have adequate lighting and use of excel will definitely improve overall growth of new plants as well. It is certainly not a substitute to co2 but it does it work. At Seachem they have there heavily planted tank running on excel alone. So as mine and so as many tanks I seen at LFS. According to my experience its a very nice product. I don't know what theory says or charts say but in my case its an amazing product. Plants grow like crazy.

Ok my story with Excel. According to my experience whoever use pressurized co2 will never advise to use excel. Its because they are co2 users and want others to use it too. Excel is not as bad as people claim. Some plants are more co2 demanding so in that case using pressurized co2 is a good idea but I have seen very lush green tanks running on excel. My tank was said to never thrive if I use excel but it is thriving great. But I don't have high co2 demanding plants. You need to have adequate lighting and use of excel will definitely improve overall growth of new plants as well. It is certainly not a substitute to co2 but it does it work. At Seachem they have there heavily planted tank running on excel alone. So as mine and so as many tanks I seen at LFS. According to my experience its a very nice product. I don't know what theory says or charts say but in my case its an amazing product. Plants grow like crazy.

Are you using excel in your cardinia tank?

Are you using excel in your cardinia tank?
Actually that's good you asked this. I was about to ask about it in a new thread. Yes I do use but now I want to know if its ok to use with them or no? As they are Taiwan Bees. More sensitive than crystals or PRL. I used fertilizers as well but now I am hesitant. Please advise. Or maybe I open a new thread as don't want to hijack this thread.

Actually that's good you asked this. I was about to ask about it in a new thread. Yes I do use but now I want to know if its ok to use with them or no? As they are Taiwan Bees. More sensitive than crystals or PRL. I used fertilizers as well but now I am hesitant. Please advise. Or maybe I open a new thread as don't want to hijack this thread.

It is good that you question. Start a new thread.

Back
Top Bottom