Good 10gallon filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobbyFishKins

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys, so I'm wondering what a good 10 gallon fish tank filter would be?
Let me start by saying i have 5 tiger barbs that i need to remove from my 30g tank in order to put in a angelfish. I'm fully aware how to cycle and have a healthy tank, I just want a expert opinion, not some guy at petsmart trying to sell me crap ;) :fish2::fish2:

i have had really good luck with bio-wheels great oxygen exchange just dont let the wheel dry up ever

I do love my larger biowheel on my 55, but I've fallen in love with my fluval c3 on my 20. I highly recommend the c series, check out the c2 for your ten gallon!

I do love my larger biowheel on my 55, but I've fallen in love with my fluval c3 on my 20. I highly recommend the c series, check out the c2 for your ten gallon!

Are these the internal ones? I love my Tetra whisper 10i and my whisper 40i internal filters, as simple as can be! Just does the job, but I only keep low-bio load fish not sure wht tiger barbs need as far as the OP's Q.

These are HOBs, the c series has 5 different stages of filtration, 2 mechanical, 1 chemical, and two biological and can be adjusted to your needs. If I didn't already have my penguin 350 on my 55 I would have gotten the c4 or two haha. I like HOBs over internal for small tanks just because the internals take space away from the fish

These are HOBs, the c series has 5 different stages of filtration, 2 mechanical, 1 chemical, and two biological and can be adjusted to your needs. If I didn't already have my penguin 350 on my 55 I would have gotten the c4 or two haha. I like HOBs over internal for small tanks just because the internals take space away from the fish

Yup, now that I have contracted MTS and upgraded my 10 to a 29 I have had to use a corner of a room for my tanks and no longer the "bar" that was seen from both the dining room and the kitchen. That may have been the main advantage to internal filtration was that I retained the uninterrupted rectangular outline of the tank that was viewed from nearly 360 degrees.

Now I can add a background to my planted tank and put wires and such out of sight. If I ever get a turtle tank I'll probably swap my 10i and 40i for an HOB for my fish tank. Still love the simplicity though.

Are there good ten gallon filters that don't have a large outflow rate? I have a beta in my ten and don't want the current to bother her. The last filter (quietflow 20) was too strong a current and pushed her around a bit. How much do I really need a filter if the tank is planted?

I just installed the aquaclear 30 in my 10 gallon tonight. If the betta is by himself, a smaller filter is fine. If there are more fish, higher filtration is always better.
On both of my tanks, I cut plastic water bottles in half vertically and place it over the output (a trick I learned on this site), to cut down on the flow. Works really well for the betta, and I still get better than adequate filtration.

I use a foam block meant for the aquaclear filters, cut it to fit in the out flow, disperses the flow and it serves as extra filtration. The bottle trick works well too but I haven't tried it, I like my method haha

I use a foam block meant for the aquaclear filters, cut it to fit in the out flow, disperses the flow and it serves as extra filtration. The bottle trick works well too but I haven't tried it, I like my method haha

Not a bad idea... This is my first aquaclear filter, and haven't had the chance to work on the flow blocker yet. I may have to try that. The bottle trick works great on my penguins, but the shape of the new filter looks like the bottle may not fit as well as I'd like.

Not a bad idea... This is my first aquaclear filter, and haven't had the chance to work on the flow blocker yet. I may have to try that. The bottle trick works great on my penguins, but the shape of the new filter looks like the bottle may not fit as well as I'd like.

I've done this with several different aqueon quiet flows, for a while I did it with my penguin 350, and I've done it with my fluval c3(which is made by the same company and only slightly different than the aquaclear) and ill do it to whatever filter I need to in the future haha. It works, it costs slightly more than an old bottle, but I like it better and it's like adding a sponge filter on top of your regular filter. Let me know if you need pictures or help!

Nice! Thanks!
This is a great idea. I definitely like the extra filtration, and i assume extra bio media.
I'm going to have to try it.

Back
Top Bottom