good algea eating fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ellis

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey I have a problem with algae most the time I have a plec but he just don't seem to be cleaning the algae does anyone know a fish which is better to help with algae? Thanks :)

Sweet how do you look after snails? Like food and stuff I may need to get one

Mine eats the algae in the tank and I throw in algae wafers once a week, here's my entire tank, there's algae growing on the fake log and on most of the plants (came in on the plants but I don't mind it being there).

I don't really do much specifically for them to be honest, easiest beings in my tank!

Attachments

• image-519856703.jpg
    image-519856703.jpg
    171.7 KB · Views: 97
Ahh very nice :) you can't Evan notice think I will get some snails :) thanks for the help

Amano shrimp are algae and detritus destroyers.

Have a look online about them.

I have ordered 6 for my 50g.

Jon

Just remember that once they're done cleaning your tank you do need to feed them - thats why mine get algae wafers every so often at the moment, so they're used to eating them and they don't have a problem with it.

The main thing is to address why you have Algae.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/algae/a/attackalgae.htm

Too much Light
Too much Food
Not enough Water Changes

It's one or all of them.
A little Algae is normal, a lot means something is out of balance.

I don't have an algae problem.
I do have algae eaters, but I supplement them.
Otos, snails and Shrimp. Plus LOTS of plants to compete with the Algae, plus lights are on timers, plus weekly PWCs.

Hey I have a problem with algae most the time I have a plec but he just don't seem to be cleaning the algae does anyone know a fish which is better to help with algae? Thanks :)
For what size tank and what's it currently stocked with please?

37 liters a few neons guppyies ram ans a few cherry barbs a plec

Maxkolbe said:
Isn't. 37 liters like ten gallons?

Yes. Slightly under. 9.77 US gallons.

Sounds very overstocked.

What kind of Pleco is in your tank ?
A 9-10g has no room for a Pleco, even a Pitbull Pleco needs more room.

I would rehome the Pleco immediately. They are poop machines and have large bioloads which can quickly pollute a small tank.

Ummm I'm not to sure I can never work out gallons :/ sorry! Ummm I'm not sure what plec it is but I can put him in the other tank I just had him in there because I thought he would help clean the algea?

the best algae eater is hands down a mag float. you dont need to feed it,it needs no special care,and it has no bioload

Reduce the hours your light is on, use a mag float, or a standard scrubber to get that algae off. Algae probs are typically due to an imbalance in the tank. Yours is very overstocked which may be contributing to your issues. Adding another fish would only make matters worse.

The barbs an ram need a tank about twice the size of yours, and the pleco may need even larger depending on the species. I suggest you rehome these fish or get another larger tank for them. You can take a pic of the plec and post it so we can help you ID which species it is and what tank size it needs. As you've already discovered, not all plecos eat algae, some are carnivores, and some are wood eaters, so you really need to know which species you have so you don't starve it to death. Plecos create huge amounts of waste so it really has the potential to wreak havoc on your tank.

The neons (you should keep a school of atleast 6) and a few guppies would make for a nicely stocked 37 liter. With just them in the tank, you could add some snails or shrimp to help keep it algae free.

Back
Top Bottom